Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Query Editor requires credentials?

the pbix file is set up Get Data from SQL Server Views

all working fine, has been set up for awhile and refreshed several times....no problems

I took the pbix to a different computer and working there decided to do some data modeling; copy a table, transform some stuff - the data is all imported so thought I was all self contained......but entering Query Editor is opening with a yellow bar "please specify how to connect.  Edit Credentials"

I sanity checked this by copying the file back to its original location with a remote log on - and then query editor opens fine....copied that same file to my local PC I wish to work at and get same credential issue....

I had thought because the data is imported that we could move the pbix file around and work from various locations on it...as long as we didn't attempt a refresh......no?

www.CahabaData.com
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @CahabaData,

I got the information from PG that

The query editor cannot read the data stored in the data model. Even if it could, the data in the data model represents the output of the very last step and the query editor wants to be able to show partial output for intermediate steps. That data is never loaded into the data model.

No passwords are stored in the pbix file. The credential for the data source are stored on the machine which have the .pbix created C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\User.zip.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CahabaData,

Based on my test in Power BI desktop latest version 2.45.4704.722, create a report use Import mode to get data from the SQL views, either set Windows authentication or SQL Server authentication, after copy to the other machines, we can see the report data when open the .pbix in other machines. But if we want to refresh or open Query Editor, it requires enter credential to connect to data source, because both Refresh and Query Editor is used for connecting data sources, we need to enter valid credential again.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for the reply.

I definitely can understand that one cannot refresh without the credentials in this scenario. 

But the restriction of opening the Query Editor does not seem a correct design.  There is no inherent linking needed/done to the data source when manipulating/modeling imported data (as I understand) as this is not a Direct Query scenario.

I think many of us that are mobile need to take a pbix file with us and refine the modeling when working in another location - ultimately returning that pbix file to its original location for the linking/refresh. 

www.CahabaData.com

Hi @CahabaData,

I have sent a email to consult this scenario internally, will update to you if get feedback.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Thank you for that update - I appreciate your follow through.  I think this issue will be key to the user community.

www.CahabaData.com

Hi @CahabaData,

I got the information from PG that

The query editor cannot read the data stored in the data model. Even if it could, the data in the data model represents the output of the very last step and the query editor wants to be able to show partial output for intermediate steps. That data is never loaded into the data model.

No passwords are stored in the pbix file. The credential for the data source are stored on the machine which have the .pbix created C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\User.zip.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

I tried to copy the user.zip to a different computer which runs the same pbix file, so they can refresh the data.

I don't want to share the actual credentials values with other users.

Still it asks for the database credentials for resfreshing the data.

What do I miss here?

Database: sql server

Power BI desktop : Version: 2.82.5858.1161 64-bit (June 2020)

Best guess: the credentials.bin file inside the zip is encrypted with either a certificate or stored value (perhaps in the credential manager) on the source computer and that key does not exist on the "different computer" you moved the zip to.

Is this true even when the credentials in the ODBC driver are already there?  PowevPivot doesnt' request it, but Power BI does?

thank you that is a very interesting clarification of the architecture

www.CahabaData.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.