Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sundayDriver
Employee
Employee

Query Editor R how to see the dataset

Hello,

I'm new to R scripting and I'm trying to manipulate some column data. I selected the R script option but I can find a way to see the format of the 'dataset' in order to write the code. My goal was to be able to debug what is happening, so I wanted to execute the script in Visual Studio first but then can I didn't know the path to the power BI dataset (I'm using power BI desktop). I've already looked at this article, but it was quite generic and didn't seem to help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @sundayDriver,

My bad, the step 2 is launched from the R visual rather than the Query Editor. I'm afraid we can't use the R IDE from Query Editor. But my steps could be a workaround. Import data in Query Editor -> Add the desired column in the R visual -> Launch the R IDE -> Can work with the dataset now. 

Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-r-ide

Query_Editor_R_how_to_see_the_dataset2

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @sundayDriver,

Could you please mark the answer as a solution?

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @sundayDriver,

Please follow the steps in the snapshot below. It's Visual Studio Code in my test.

Query_Editor_R_how_to_see_the_dataset

Best Regards,

Dale

Hi @v-jiascu-msft

Thank you for the response and help!

I had one more question: How can I find the arrow in step marked with '2'? Finding the local path of the dataset is my main blocker.

Hi @sundayDriver,

My bad, the step 2 is launched from the R visual rather than the Query Editor. I'm afraid we can't use the R IDE from Query Editor. But my steps could be a workaround. Import data in Query Editor -> Add the desired column in the R visual -> Launch the R IDE -> Can work with the dataset now. 

Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-r-ide

Query_Editor_R_how_to_see_the_dataset2

Best Regards,

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.