Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ATREZISE
Helper I
Helper I

Query Editor Performance

Hi All

I have been using Power BI for a while now but am becoming increasingly frustrated with the performance issues whilst building queries using the query editor.

Admittedly some of my report  queries are quite complex and contain a number of sub-queries (merged) from different data sources, however overall performance is really poor.

Whilst using the query editor with remote data sources why does it constantly need to refresh from the source (as I modify and step through a query), why can it not just work with the most recently downloaded data instead of going back to constantly refresh?

Is there a parameter somewhere to stop this behaviour - changing the cache parameters doesn't really have too much of an impact.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ATREZISE ,

Unfortunately, there is not a option that can stop always refreshing. You could try to use Query Folding to improve performance based on your actual scenario. 

Here are some blogs that you could reference.

Query Folding in Power Query to Improve Performance

How Query Folding Works

Power BI - Checking Query Folding with View Native Query

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ATREZISE ,

Unfortunately, there is not a option that can stop always refreshing. You could try to use Query Folding to improve performance based on your actual scenario. 

Here are some blogs that you could reference.

Query Folding in Power Query to Improve Performance

How Query Folding Works

Power BI - Checking Query Folding with View Native Query

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi

Thank you for your quick response.

I've done a little research on Query Folding - it appears to be pretty early into it's journey.

BTW I am a 'casual' PBI user (not advanced). I can do a little DAX coding and data modelling but I am not an expert in this area so for something like Query Folding to work for the masses it has to be made simple and straightforward.

The first problem I appear to have is that none of my data sources seem to support it - I am using ODATA and SSAS Data Cubes (via Import)...after I connect to these sources the 'Native Query' is option disabled (before I do any transformations).

So I suppose (unless I am missing something) this will not work for me?

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.