Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Query Editor - Lookup value between Indexed rows?

So I have a lookup table in Query Editor that would be structured as follows:

ID Column:    Index Column:

1003                     1

2004                    76

4543                    98

3431                    231

I have an original table that has index values from 1-250. What I want to do is do a lookup from the original table into the lookup table. So in rows 1-75 in the original table I want to bring in the corresponding ID from the lookup table. So rows 1-75 would return 1003, then rows 76-97 would return 2004, 98-230 would return 4543, and greater than 231 would return 3431. Is there an easy way to do this?

The other way I was thinking is to somehow dynamically add rows in between the index rows in my lookup table. So somehow add rows 2-97 between the first two rows on my lookup table. So then I would have rows 1-231 and then the corresponding ID number. Then it would be a simple lookup from the original table into this table.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

I did the method to add rows to your table. Paste this code into a blank query in Power Query - get rid of the misc. text a Blank Query starts with.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQwMFbSUTJUitWJVjIyMDABcszNwDwTUxOQlKUFmGdsYmwI5BkBydhYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"D Column:" = _t, #"Index Column:" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"D Column:", Int64.Type}, {"Index Column:", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 0, 1),
    #"Added Index1" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Added Index", "Index.1", 1, 1),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Added Index1", {"Index.1"}, #"Added Index1", {"Index"}, "Added Index1", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Added Index1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Added Index1", {"Index Column:"}, {"Index Column:.1"}),
    #"Added New Index" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Added Index1", "New Index", each if [#"Index Column:.1"] <> null
then {[#"Index Column:"] .. [#"Index Column:.1"] - 1} 
else {[#"Index Column:"] }),
    #"Expanded List Data" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added New Index", "New Index"),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded List Data",{{"New Index", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Changed Type1",{"D Column:", "New Index"})
in
    #"Removed Other Columns"

What this does is:

1. Creates two new indexes, one starting at 0, the other at 1.
  2. I then merge the table withitself - the #1 index to the #0 index
  3. I then expand your original "Index" column. Now I have the end number of the range, which is the value for the next item.
  4. I create a sequence of numberd from the original number through to the (next number -1).
  5. Expand the list, then get rid of all but the new list and the first column with your data.

You can see that at 75, item 1003 stops numbering, and item 2004 pics up with 76...

2020-04-06 19_17_29-Untitled - Power Query Editor.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
edhans
Super User
Super User

I did the method to add rows to your table. Paste this code into a blank query in Power Query - get rid of the misc. text a Blank Query starts with.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQwMFbSUTJUitWJVjIyMDABcszNwDwTUxOQlKUFmGdsYmwI5BkBydhYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"D Column:" = _t, #"Index Column:" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"D Column:", Int64.Type}, {"Index Column:", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 0, 1),
    #"Added Index1" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Added Index", "Index.1", 1, 1),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Added Index1", {"Index.1"}, #"Added Index1", {"Index"}, "Added Index1", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Added Index1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Added Index1", {"Index Column:"}, {"Index Column:.1"}),
    #"Added New Index" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Added Index1", "New Index", each if [#"Index Column:.1"] <> null
then {[#"Index Column:"] .. [#"Index Column:.1"] - 1} 
else {[#"Index Column:"] }),
    #"Expanded List Data" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added New Index", "New Index"),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded List Data",{{"New Index", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Changed Type1",{"D Column:", "New Index"})
in
    #"Removed Other Columns"

What this does is:

1. Creates two new indexes, one starting at 0, the other at 1.
  2. I then merge the table withitself - the #1 index to the #0 index
  3. I then expand your original "Index" column. Now I have the end number of the range, which is the value for the next item.
  4. I create a sequence of numberd from the original number through to the (next number -1).
  5. Expand the list, then get rid of all but the new list and the first column with your data.

You can see that at 75, item 1003 stops numbering, and item 2004 pics up with 76...

2020-04-06 19_17_29-Untitled - Power Query Editor.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

So @ImkeF or @edhans can probably assist.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.