Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SHDJason
Advocate II
Advocate II

Query Editor Custom Column text editor?

Hi. This may be a simple thing, but I can't find the answer. When I go into Query Editor and want to make changes to some custom columns, it gives me a form instead of a text box. How do I switch back to the text box? I like it better for creating columns with lots of conditions. Using the select boxes is slow. Is there a setting to toggle back and forth? Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @SHDJason,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have, could you share the solution or always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, could you share some screenshots to specify your problem, so that  we can help further investigate on it?

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am not sure what you mean by text box and form. If you click on the custom column creation step ( Right click-> Edit settings) in the applied column, you will see the below column settings where you can type your custom formula in the text editor. This is what you are looking for?

CustomCol.PNG

Thanks

Raj

Hi Raj,

That text box view is what I'm looking for. But I keep getting this interface. How do I switch?

Capture.PNG

Hi @SHDJason,

From your screenshot, it seems that you added the conditional colum before.

There is no option for us to switch the two different box each other directly in Query Editor. By my test, if you want to get the Custom column editor box view, you could add a step above add Location. Then click Custom column like below.

add column.png

Best Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Cherry,

Thanks, but that is what I do every time. However, sometimes it seems to convert it to a Conditional Column even though it was created as a Custom Column. Maybe, if the logic is not complicated, it thinks its a Conditional Column and presents that interface?  

Hi @SHDJason,

Maybe, if the logic is not complicated, it thinks its a Conditional Column and presents that interface?   

It seems that your're right.

By my test, if I create a simple custom column with if function. It will be recognized as a conditional custom column.

So if we want to open the custom column edit box, we need to add a custom column. If the custom colum you want to modify is still a conditional column, you could edit it in Conditional  column text box.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.