cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Query Editor - Can a query source be another loaded query? as opposed to the source file

Hi All

Some power query support required!

In my queries, i need to build pivot versions of my source data, while retaining the source data itself for various visualisation in my report.

The way I did this was simply duplicating the original query, unpivotting and formatting etc.

What I have realised since is when I updated the source of original query, the pivot version does not update - it remains based on v1 of the source data. I am now messing about with the advanced editor for each "pivot" version of my queries and it's all rather time consuming. 

So my question would be can I have a query with its source being another loaded query in the editor? Or does it always have to be my original excel / csv raw files?

I appreciate that a work around could be just overwriting the source data rather than using advanced editor to change it to a new file path, but it would be interesting if my suggested solution could actually be done.

thank you all,

GC4002

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: Query Editor - Can a query source be another loaded query? as opposed to the source file

Yes.  That is exactly what the Reference feature is.  When you right click on a query to Duplicate it, choose Reference instead.  It uses the output of one query as the input of the new one.

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: Query Editor - Can a query source be another loaded query? as opposed to the source file

Yes.  That is exactly what the Reference feature is.  When you right click on a query to Duplicate it, choose Reference instead.  It uses the output of one query as the input of the new one.

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

July 2020 Community Highlights

July 2020 Community Highlights

Learn about the exciting things that happened in July.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

We are thrilled to announce we will begin running a monthly webinar series named Power BI Dev Camp.

Power BI Desktop August 2020 Update

Power BI Desktop August 2020 Update

We have great updates this month! Click the link for the video with more info.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors