Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Query: Change type to "decimal" from "whole" and reload?

I realize that a few thousand of the 20mm in one data table require a decimal format while the rest are whole numbers ($).  Clearly I can change the type of that column from integer to decimal in the query, but I really don't know if that's going to ruin the database.

I can make a copy and try it, I suppose...but even if things seem right, does anyone know whether it's "not a problem" or at least shouldn't be.

Thank you,

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You should set the data type on import in the Query Editor.  Changing it after the fact wont break anything, but you will need to do it in the Edit Query window so it brings the data back in in the new format.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

You should set the data type on import in the Query Editor.  Changing it after the fact wont break anything, but you will need to do it in the Edit Query window so it brings the data back in in the new format.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Thanks Matt...you've been a big help as I get started with Power.bi.  

Tom  

PS: I just bought your book.  You're clearly a big DAX resource and it is fun to learn from those that have really mastered this platform (all those that have helped me out, for example).  It also gets very nice reviews and comes in every conceivable format.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.