Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MightyMicrobe
Helper II
Helper II

Queries with overlapping date periods

Hi all, 

I am exporting data out of Adobe Analytics and need to build a view showing metrics over a 45-day period, shifted weekly. Essentially, I need to see week on week change of the overlapping/preceding 45-day periods. 

Example:

Weeks Back
Date Start
Date End
Metric 1
Metric 2
2019-12-18
2020-01-31
2019-12-25
2020-02-07
2020-01-01
2020-02-14
                  -  
2020-01-08
2020-02-21

I can manually build individual queries for each period and append them to each other, but this is an extremely slow process and I will have to build about 400 queries individually.

Is there a way to automate it? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MightyMicrobe 

Your data is too scarce to repro the full issue. for the "need to build a view showing metrics over a 45-day period, shifted weekly" you can probably create a calculated table first then add the measure:

date = var k = ADDCOLUMNS(FILTER(CALENDAR(DATE(2019,01,01),DATE(2020,01,08)),WEEKDAY([Date],2)=3),"date end",[Date]+44)
return
k
Weeks back = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('date'),FILTER('date',[Date]>=EARLIER([Date])))-1

08.PNG

I can't figure out where the metrics info from, but you can manage the calendar table with your data to calculate them automatically. 

Pbix attached.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MightyMicrobe 

Your data is too scarce to repro the full issue. for the "need to build a view showing metrics over a 45-day period, shifted weekly" you can probably create a calculated table first then add the measure:

date = var k = ADDCOLUMNS(FILTER(CALENDAR(DATE(2019,01,01),DATE(2020,01,08)),WEEKDAY([Date],2)=3),"date end",[Date]+44)
return
k
Weeks back = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('date'),FILTER('date',[Date]>=EARLIER([Date])))-1

08.PNG

I can't figure out where the metrics info from, but you can manage the calendar table with your data to calculate them automatically. 

Pbix attached.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

As you know, Web Analytics solutions does not provide you data at the lowest granularity and therefore you can't sum non-summable metrics (like users) over periods. There isn't an easy solution to this. A few options are

- Use metrics that are summable (page views) instead of non-summable (users) for your analysis. PV *might* be a good proxy for your users but depends how much you can change your requirements

- Statistically calculate the overlapping on average and reduce it accordingly. So for if on a day you have 100 users but on a 45 days you have 4000 users (instead of 4500), download the data on a daily level, sum and reduce by 1-(4000/4500)=11.1%. It's an approximation of course.

- Use direct query connectors: there exists some connectors that allows to work on a direct query model for GA (and therefore they re-query every period for non-summable) but not sure for Adobe Analytics (try CDATA).

- And of course run every single query...probably it can be automated through Power Query, but I never tried. Still, however, this will be fairly slow as you will have to make 400 requests to AA.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

I think we should allocate the data at day level work on it.

Refer, how to allocate at Day level, Look for Table Daily Allocation: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fnq82ksdzk1lqs3/Target_allocation_daily.pbix?dl=0

Refer, how to work with rolling weeks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9898a48e76wmvl/sales_analytics_weekWise.pbix?dl=0

No, this will not work, unfortunately. The nature of the data I'm working with is such that 45 day period != sum total of 45 individual days, I need to ingest the data as one "block" of 45 days, not as 45 individual blocks of 1 day each. 

Not sure if it makes sense but that's about the best way I can explain it 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.