Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Queries Metadata Loading data into Model... Fail

I am using Power BI Desktop and DirectQuery to get tables from a SQL data source.

I created a new table by clicking the New Table button and called it "Trip". I used the Distinct() DAX function to create the values for the first column of the new "Trip" table. I also created three additional columns using other DAX functions such as Lookupvalue() and if().

My problem is that I cannot delete any of the Trip table columns. When I try to delete the column I get "Something went wrong" error.

PeterBlatchley_0-1597411196153.png

When I choose cancel I get the below Refresh screen which never stops. I am forced to cancel this too.

PeterBlatchley_1-1597411228931.png

I have tried to use the query editor but the new Trip table does not show up in the list of queries.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @PeterBlatchley ,

In the DirectQuery mode, no data is imported or copied into Power BI Desktop, and all tables must come from a single database. Due to the nature of the DirectQuery mode, we are not able to create a new table. Currently, we can only use DAX expressions to create calculated columns or measures in this mode.

Calculated columns are limited to being intra-row, as in, they can only refer to values of other columns of the same table, without the use of any aggregate functions.  The ability to define a calculated table using a DAX expression isn't supported in DirectQuery mode.

For more details, please refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-about#modeling-limitation...

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
sarahr4444
Employee
Employee

I had this issue at one point too.  I ended up going into the options and unselect 'Store datasets using enhanced metadata format' under the 'Preview Features' settings.  That seemed to resolve the problem.

Then after a data refresh, and a reload of the model I was able to add that feature back in without additional issue.

2020-08-14_9-02-50.png

Hope that helps!

Sarah

@sarahr4444 wrote:

I had this issue at one point too.  I ended up going into the options and unselect 'Store datasets using enhanced metadata format' under the 'Preview Features' settings.  That seemed to resolve the problem.

I tried adding this feature and it did not allow me to delete the column from my virtual trip table. 

Here is a screenshot of the error log.

PeterBlatchley_0-1597424850800.png

Here the log shows the feature storing datasets using enhanced metadata format.

PeterBlatchley_1-1597424937048.png

Thanks for your help!

Hi @PeterBlatchley ,

In the DirectQuery mode, no data is imported or copied into Power BI Desktop, and all tables must come from a single database. Due to the nature of the DirectQuery mode, we are not able to create a new table. Currently, we can only use DAX expressions to create calculated columns or measures in this mode.

Calculated columns are limited to being intra-row, as in, they can only refer to values of other columns of the same table, without the use of any aggregate functions.  The ability to define a calculated table using a DAX expression isn't supported in DirectQuery mode.

For more details, please refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-about#modeling-limitation...

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.