Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jeo_Thomas
Frequent Visitor

QTD, Last Year Same QTR, YTD, YTD Last Year

Greetings,

I'm new to Power BI and dax, so please forgive me if my inquiry makes no sense.

In my company, I'm attempting to create a quarterly report. The source data contains some information that should be ignored when constructing the report because it is from an unfinished quarter. I can't delete it as it forms the source of other reports too.

After some research I was able to create a measure to calculate QTD thanks to @amitchandak by using the below DAX

QTD-Submission Count = CALCULATE([Submission count],DATESQTD( ENDOFQUARTER(dateadd('1.Date_First Receipt Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER)))) "

But I am unable to find a solution to calculate

1. YTD - that only includes the quarter that is complete and ignores the incomplete quarter.

2. Last Year same Quarter  - Which shows the QTD data for last year which the same time frame of the current complete quarter.

3. YTD Last Year - YTD data for the last year which which the same time frame of this years completed quarter.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Jeo_Thomas ,

welcome to Power BI 🙂

I think it's a good idea reading this article: https://www.daxpatterns.com/time-patterns/ this article provides solutions for almost everything that relates to time.

It explains why it is important to use a dedicated Calendar table, as this almost mandatory for any data model.

Then you can create a new column in this Calendar table like "completed" and mark all days that are inside a Completed Quarter with "Yes" and all the other days with "No".

Then you can add something like this

CALCULATE(
    <Time Intelligence Function>
    , 'Calendar'[Completed Quarter] = "Yes"
)

Hopefully, this provides some idea on how to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jeo_Thomas ,

I agree with @TomMartens  suggestion. If the problem has been solved, you can mark the correct reply as the standard answer to help the other members find it more quickly. If there is still confusion, please point out.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Jeo_Thomas ,

if there is a business rule that defines if a quarter is closed or not you can create a calculated column that flags this automatically.

If there is no such business rule you have to do this automatically, e.g create a table that contains a year column and a quarter column. Use Power Query to join both tables and create the "complete column" based on the Excel information.

Regards,

Tom 

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Thanks, I created a master source file to flagging Closed Quarter as "Yes" or "No", then I used "Related" function to join the master table to date table. Is this what you meant?

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Jeo_Thomas ,

welcome to Power BI 🙂

I think it's a good idea reading this article: https://www.daxpatterns.com/time-patterns/ this article provides solutions for almost everything that relates to time.

It explains why it is important to use a dedicated Calendar table, as this almost mandatory for any data model.

Then you can create a new column in this Calendar table like "completed" and mark all days that are inside a Completed Quarter with "Yes" and all the other days with "No".

Then you can add something like this

CALCULATE(
    <Time Intelligence Function>
    , 'Calendar'[Completed Quarter] = "Yes"
)

Hopefully, this provides some idea on how to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

It sounds fantastic; I will definitely give it a shot.

I already have a date table with a quarter column; is there a method to automatically flag dates with complete quarter? Only manually identifying it comes to my mind when I think about it.

Please forgive me if I am asking too much.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.