Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

Q&A in desktop not recognizing a question that works in the service

Hello. I'm trying to test out Q&A on a PBIX file that is connected to on-premise SSAS Tabular. It is deployed to the service and the App is published. I can use Q&A from the App and get results. But when I try to take the PBIX file and add a Q&A button, then type in the exact same phrase, it responds with, "Hmm, we didn't understand your question. Try asking it another way."

Why would the Desktop Q&A NOT recognize a question that works in the App? (Same data model, same SSAS database.)

2019-10-08_10-43-41.jpg

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue with my Power BI Q&A. Was this problem resolved?

I have been in direct contact with some people on the product team. They claim a fix is coming in the next update.

I do know that the issue may be exacerbated by the fact that my Measures are contained in a DAX calculated table, one that is not related to any of the dimension tables. 

Let's see what the next release brings, eh?

Hi @ToddChitt ,

I'm glad to hear the new message. I think you could accept your answer as a solution. Then more prople who encounter the same issue will find it quickly. If there is any message, you could continue updating here.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-xuding-msft It seems that the November update destroyed fully all existed connections and relationships in Q&A. My PBI model doesn't understand totally the questions I ask it. I see results in the Desktop but Service and Embedded versions show me nonsense. 

@AnonymousNobody like to hear the phrase, "Well, it works on my machine!" But the November 2019 did in fact fix the issues I was having. As a review, my model is base on a Connect Live to Analysis Services Tabular database, and all the Measures are created in 'disconnected tables', ones that are DAX tables with no real data, created just for the purpose of hosting the measures, and with no relationship whatsoever with the dimensional tables. 

Even if your model is NOT of the same structure, it sounds like you should open a support ticket with Microsoft. For my ticket, I ran the profiler to capture query events sent to the tabular database and sent that off to the support team. 

Best of luck.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ToddChitt  thanks for your support. Unfortunately, the November update fully broke the functionality of my Q&A. I've created a support ticket and waiting for an explanation and help.

Hope, they can resolve this issue. I will share a solution if it exists.

v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ToddChitt ,

I can't reproduce the issue. You could try to install the latest version (2.73.5586.1101) of Power BI Desktop firstly and try again. If you could share a dummy file, it will help us reproduce your scenario.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello  
Thanks for the tip on the latest version. They don't always indicate new version from within the desktop. But unfortunately, it had no affect on the issue. 

Also, unfortunately I cannot share the model as it is tied to a SQL Server Analysis Server running Tabular mode, on premise and needs the gateway connection on the service in order to do the direct queries. I could share the model but you wouldn't be able to open it.

Here is the scenario in my A/B test.
* Installation (A) is Power BI Desktop, data comes from SSAS Tabular on site
* Installation (B) is that same PBIX file deployed to the service and published as an App.

Both models connect to the same SSAS Tabular model, (A) via a direct connection and (B) via the Gateway

I type in "show net fees" 
Results: 
(A) responds with a number
(B) responds with the same number

I type in "show net fees for 2019"
(B) responds with a number, smaller obviously, and properly filtered for  the current year
(A) responds with with the error message shown, "Hmm, we didn't understand..."

I doubt it is based on some model design issue. If it were, (B) would fail as well as it uses the same model.
Test (C) is to publish the model with the page that contains the Q&A button. If I type in the same phrase "show net fees for 2019" I get the same answer as I get from Q&A from the dashboard.

Sorry, but even if you can't reproduce it, I see it as a bug.

Is it possible that the Desktop product is using a different Q&A engine than the service?

Hi @ToddChitt ,

For your description, I also think it might be a bug. You could create a support ticket to get dedicated support.

Hope your issue will be solved as soon as possible.

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

Best Regards,
Xue Ding

Honestly, I HATE the whole run-around Power BI gives me for trying to put in a support ticket. 
If I click the link above, then from that page click "Report an Issue" it trhows be back into https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues, 
NOT into https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro/ as you have it displayed.
Plus seems like every other time I use this site, I get a bit red banner at the top with "Authentication Failed".

Hi @ToddChitt ,

We need to click "create support ticket" not "Report an issue" in the link . Please try to open https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro/ directly with a new incognito window and follow the steps.

3.PNG2.PNG1.PNG

Because of your report that is connected to on-premise SSAS Tabular, the engineers in community can't test it.  You need to create a ticket to get a dedicated support. And you don't need to worry about data security. The way is private and safe.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Kudos are nice too.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding

Sorry, that link doesn't work for me. I don't have the opiton to create a new support ticket. I'm signed in.

I really don't like their layout and navigation system for creating a bug. They make it very hard. Maybe on purpose?

Hi @ToddChitt ,

I tested the link and it worked fine.  If you have a Microsoft account, you could go to this.

1.PNG

If you don't have one, you could try to open the website without signing in.Then follow the steps from here.

You could give feedback to Microsoft to make them better if you have any suggestion,.Smiley Wink

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Kudos are nice too.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.