Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sm_accordion
Frequent Visitor

Python visual in Power BI

I have simple Python code that I run in the Jupyter editor:

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import seaborn as sns

data = [["a", 4], ["a", 5], ["b", 8], ["b", 9]]

df = pd.DataFrame(data, columns = ["x", "y"])

sns.violinplot(x = df["x"], y = df["y"])

which correctly produces the following visual:

test1.png

In Power BI, I create the same table:

test2.PNG

Insert a Python visual with the code:

test3.PNG

but the result is not the same:

test4.PNG

Anyone know what I am doing wrong here?  Why is it not the same graph as in the Jupyter notebook?  This graphs seems to be summing the data and not showing the distribution.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @sm_accordion,

Power BI will typically group data by unique values. This can be mitigated by specifying Don't Summarize for your fields in the visual, e.g.:

image.png

This will produce a dataset like the following:

image.png

But, even this will consolidate rows if you have the same value repeated multiple times, e.g. x=a, y=4, and this will mess with your distribution. I've added a duplicate row to the above dataset and added a count to the table to show what happens:

image.png

If you truly want to have individual rows passed into your visual, you'll need to add unique value to each row of your dataset (such as an auto-incrementing int) to prevent grouping, so it looks something like this:

indexxy
1a4
2a5
3b8
4b9

Here's the table representation now (note that count = 1):

image.png

If you want further details, I've produced a violin plot custom visual, and have written an article on how grouping/sampling needs to work in these situations. Hopefully this will be useful for you.

Good luck!

Daniel

If my post helps, then please consider accepting as a solution to help other forum members find the answer more quickly 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @sm_accordion,

Power BI will typically group data by unique values. This can be mitigated by specifying Don't Summarize for your fields in the visual, e.g.:

image.png

This will produce a dataset like the following:

image.png

But, even this will consolidate rows if you have the same value repeated multiple times, e.g. x=a, y=4, and this will mess with your distribution. I've added a duplicate row to the above dataset and added a count to the table to show what happens:

image.png

If you truly want to have individual rows passed into your visual, you'll need to add unique value to each row of your dataset (such as an auto-incrementing int) to prevent grouping, so it looks something like this:

indexxy
1a4
2a5
3b8
4b9

Here's the table representation now (note that count = 1):

image.png

If you want further details, I've produced a violin plot custom visual, and have written an article on how grouping/sampling needs to work in these situations. Hopefully this will be useful for you.

Good luck!

Daniel

If my post helps, then please consider accepting as a solution to help other forum members find the answer more quickly 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Thanks a ton.  This solved the problem.  I appreciate the detailed response and for taking the time to read through the post.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.