Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

VoltesDev
Helper IV
Helper IV

Python in PowerBI question

Hi all,

Just want to ask advices / opinion. I'm using Power BI regularly for my work for more than 3 years now, cannot say advance, probably intermediate. Recently I'm thinking whether I need to enhance my knowledge to Python. 

My question is what or how is the usage of Python in Power BI ? in normal to advance way of using this type language.

Since I'm planning to learn this, will this Python knowledge also being used in other Power Platform ? and will there be an value added for us in doing our job.

Lastly, where is the best online course for Python ? Will a general course enough or is there a more focus on usage in Power BI / Power Platform ?

Please advice.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
VahidDM
Super User
Super User

Hi @VoltesDev 

It depends!!

Do you want to learn Python to use that just in Power BI or Power Platform solutions? if yes, my opinion is spend your time on learning Power Query and DAX and how to improve the reports' performance.

On the other hand, if you have time and want to learn a new thing, I recommend to learn Vega language to create custom visuals with DENEB, moreover, you can learn C language to use the Tabular Editor like the professional developers.

This is my personal ideas, and as I said it depends on your long and short terms plans.

If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Appreciate your Kudos!! 

Badges.jpg

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog | YouTube 

Hi @VahidDM 

Thanks for your response. Yes, in my work, I do use a lot of Power Query and DAX. So, you are saying better to be more excel on this, rather than learn Python ? The Power Query you are mentioned is the M language that I must learn more in depth, am I right to say that ?

Not sure I need to to have skill to create custom visual, as my work is in End User, normally and more effective to use existing.

About the C language, as I do know C# (looong time ago)... is it this what you are referring to (C# scripting) -> https://docs.tabulareditor.com/te3/features/csharp-scripts.html

Thanks again

@VoltesDev 

Yes, you can use M language on the Power Query and it would be more hlpful for you to have  more in depth knowledge in that area.

The Custom Visual and C# are optional, but you will have more power with them.

Appreciate your Kudos!! 

Badges.jpg

Ok, noted.

Last question then : When talking about Power Query and its M language, does it have its own certification ? Beside in Power BI certification from Microsoft ? Reason is I have recently passed PL-300, but I feel less question about Power Query which is understandable.

So my question again is, does Power Query alone has its certification ? maybe outside Microsoft perhaps ?

Thanks again.

@VoltesDev 

I don't think so, and not sure if there is a Certification, that would be helpful 😉 
You can find many blog post, Videos, ... on the net about the Power Query

Appreciate your Kudos!! 

Badges.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.