Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Eiki
Frequent Visitor

Python Slicer - Remove line from matplotlib using Slicer Value

I have a plot that looks at daily mean sales for different products, which I made using matplotlib. Now I want a slicer that allows for the removal of unselected lines in the python script. I have the slicer set up but it does not remove the line but does filter the data, which I thought would remove the line but it stays (likley in a default state maybe?). 

Here is a code snippit for reference.

plt.plot(df['Dates'], df[f'Product{i}'], c = f'{i}')
plt.show()

Slicer is set on Product group that contains all the relevant ID numbers - Names dont match but it does seem to filter the data, the data tables are connected in Power Bi Model. I have seen another post similar to this:

But this post is not very general enough for me to transfer over to my own challange.

Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eiki
Frequent Visitor

I did 'Fix' this by just realizing something about how Python and Power Bi work together.

When you use a slicer it will filter the column you are plotting. There is no need to 'define' a slicer in the python script

First let me say that its a specific way of thinking one needs to approach this combo. In my way of thinking 'you' as the programmer define the behaviour of the slicer by making a connection between the slicer and the python script. This is wrong. Power Bi, when you add a slicer, will filter the data and run the python script again with the new data filtered data frame. So for me I needed to remove some of the programmers thinking and allow Power Bi to do the thing it does best, simplify a lot of tasks.

It isn't a 'programming' solution or software solution - its a 'Aha, thats smart' light bulb monent solution.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Eiki 

I don't know what line you want to remove.

Could you show an example with pictures?

Best Regards

Maggie

I don't have the file right now - but I found a solution. 

For the slicer to work in the python script there needs to be a refernce to that file. So there could be an example like this

plt.plot(df['date'], df[f'Product{i}'].where(df[f'Product{i}'].isin(ProductList))

The ProductList is the list I reference in the slicer so now it works.

Thanks again - I found the solution by reading the forum here and Trial and Error

Eiki
Frequent Visitor

I did 'Fix' this by just realizing something about how Python and Power Bi work together.

When you use a slicer it will filter the column you are plotting. There is no need to 'define' a slicer in the python script

First let me say that its a specific way of thinking one needs to approach this combo. In my way of thinking 'you' as the programmer define the behaviour of the slicer by making a connection between the slicer and the python script. This is wrong. Power Bi, when you add a slicer, will filter the data and run the python script again with the new data filtered data frame. So for me I needed to remove some of the programmers thinking and allow Power Bi to do the thing it does best, simplify a lot of tasks.

It isn't a 'programming' solution or software solution - its a 'Aha, thats smart' light bulb monent solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.