Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jchawk14
Frequent Visitor

Python Home Directory Won't Stay Set

I have multible Python environments installed on my machine through Anaconda. When I set my home directory within Power BI to any one if the environments from Options -> Python Scripting, my selection clears after I hit 'OK'. I am also unable to set a Default Python IDE as this also clears after I hit 'OK', but this is less of a problem. My co worker has the same set up as me and he was able to get his to work by following the same steps as me.

So far I have tried closing Power BI, creating a new report, rebooting my machine, and reinstalling Power BI with no luck.

Does anyone else have this issue, or have any ideas on how to solve this? Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This bug has been fixed in the next release of Power BI Desktop which should be available for download early September.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Matt92
Helper I
Helper I

Same problem here. I only have one distribution (3.7 RAW Python) in my C:\Python37 folder.

I choose Other, and browse the folder. Press OK. Reopen the settings and my previous settings are lost.

Are you using 32-bit or 64-bit version of PBI Desktop? Also, what type of machine and OS do you have? 

I'm using 64 bit PBI: Version: 2.61.5192.601 64-bit (2018. augusztus)

Just as my Windows 10 Pro OS. 

Hi All,

Did you solve this issue?

Seems all is good in my test. I would suggest you open a support ticket here.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hey,

Not yet, unfortunately. I have tried everything I could. Restart computer, Power BI. Reinstall Python, reinstall Power BI.

At least is there any workaround? Like manually change the path in config file or something like this...?

I will open a ticket, as you suggested!

Matt

Thank you, Matt. 

Did you add the python path to the OS Environment Variables? Then Power BI can detect it automatically.

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Of course, It is in my path. I use Python regularly. I made a screenshot for you, just to be sure. It is in the System variables:

path.PNG

Thanks,

Matt 

Thanks again, Matt.

That's weird. I would suggest you wait for the responses from the ticket.

Best Regards,

Dale

This bug has been fixed in the next release of Power BI Desktop which should be available for download early September.

Good to hear! Hope it arrives soon! 🙂 Thanks!

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jchawk14,

Can you share some snapshots? I would suggest you remove and reinstall it.

Best Regards,

Dale

Sure, so the first screenshot below is where I go to set the home directory. That folder is where my Anaconda installation or python 2.7 is installed. I have the smae file path specified in my IDE, so I know that the python install works.

Capture.PNG

The second screenshot is after I hit "OK" at the bottom of the page. When I go back to options -> Python Scripting, the home directory I set is now cleared. It feels like my selection just isn't saving.

Capture1.PNG

I have tried reinstalling but I still have the same issue after.

Thank you!

Have you tried to run Python seperatly from Power BI? 

jchawk14
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have and it works as intended in my IDE.

Could you provide the list of all Python installations on your machine (installation type, path, architecture) e.g. Miniconda, c:\miniconda3, 64 bit ?

Sure, I have 3 different python environments, all managed through Anaconda. The paths are:

• C:\apps\Anaconda3\envs\py27_dev
  • C:\apps\Anaconda3\envs\py36
  • C:\apps\Anaconda3\envs\py36_dev

They are all x64 installations. The difference between the 3 is the versioning and the different modules installed in each.

I have also tried setting up a fresh environment to work with in Power BI but that didn't work either.

jchawkjr

Have you tried removing the cartridge and blowing on it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.