Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

reboundgt9
Frequent Visitor

Pulling in prior month data to create a calculation

I need to be create two measures so that I can create a third % change measure. The data measures needed are (1) current month membership and (2) prior month membership. The current month membership is determined by the largest end date selected from within a slicer on the page. I have been able to successfully pull in the enrollment for all groups in the current months membership, however, I have not been able to get the data from one month immediately proceeding the max end date.

I have tried to amend the below dax to include a '- 1' after the max period date but have not been able to get that to work.

current month dax - 

Current Month Membership = CALCULATE(SUM(Enrollment[Member Count]),FILTER('Enrollment',Enrollment[Period Date] = MAX('Enrollment'[Period Date])))

I'm not sure if this matters but [Period Date] is a calendar date value in the data.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @reboundgt9 

You can use EOMONTH() to return the value that you want . Returns the date in datetime format of the last day of the month, before or after a specified number of months. Use EOMONTH to calculate maturity dates or due dates that fall on the last day of the month.

(1)Create a Calendar Date table to filter date in Enrollment table.

Calendar Date = CALENDAR(DATE(2021,01,01),DATE(2021,12,31))

(2)Add a slicer with field 'Calendar Date'[Date] .

Ailsamsft_0-1630909154941.png

(3)Create two measures to return the value from current month and previous month .

Current Month Membership = CALCULATE(SUM(Enrollment[Member Count]),FILTER(Enrollment,Enrollment[Period Date]>EOMONTH(MAX('Calendar Date'[Date]),-1) && Enrollment[Period Date]<=EOMONTH(MAX('Calendar Date'[Date]),0)))
Previous Month Membership = CALCULATE(SUM(Enrollment[Member Count]),FILTER(Enrollment,Enrollment[Period Date]>EOMONTH(MAX('Calendar Date'[Date]),-2) && Enrollment[Period Date]<=EOMONTH(MAX('Calendar Date'[Date]),-1)))

(4)Add card visual to display the measures .

The final result is as shown :

Ailsamsft_1-1630909154944.pngAilsamsft_2-1630909154946.png

I have attached my pbix file ,you can refer to it .

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @reboundgt9 

You can use EOMONTH() to return the value that you want . Returns the date in datetime format of the last day of the month, before or after a specified number of months. Use EOMONTH to calculate maturity dates or due dates that fall on the last day of the month.

(1)Create a Calendar Date table to filter date in Enrollment table.

Calendar Date = CALENDAR(DATE(2021,01,01),DATE(2021,12,31))

(2)Add a slicer with field 'Calendar Date'[Date] .

Ailsamsft_0-1630909154941.png

(3)Create two measures to return the value from current month and previous month .

Current Month Membership = CALCULATE(SUM(Enrollment[Member Count]),FILTER(Enrollment,Enrollment[Period Date]>EOMONTH(MAX('Calendar Date'[Date]),-1) && Enrollment[Period Date]<=EOMONTH(MAX('Calendar Date'[Date]),0)))
Previous Month Membership = CALCULATE(SUM(Enrollment[Member Count]),FILTER(Enrollment,Enrollment[Period Date]>EOMONTH(MAX('Calendar Date'[Date]),-2) && Enrollment[Period Date]<=EOMONTH(MAX('Calendar Date'[Date]),-1)))

(4)Add card visual to display the measures .

The final result is as shown :

Ailsamsft_1-1630909154944.pngAilsamsft_2-1630909154946.png

I have attached my pbix file ,you can refer to it .

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Your current month measure doesn't need to be that complicated.

Current Month Membership = SUM(Enrollment[Member Count])

And for the prior month you can use the standard time intelligence functions

Prior Month Membership = CALCULATE(SUM(Enrollment[Member Count]),DATEADD('Enrollment'[Period Date],-1,MONTH))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.