Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

anwilkins
Resolver II
Resolver II

Pull medical codes from two (2) tables

I want to assess the number of patients who come in for a mental health / substance use evaluation and have to wait more than 21 days till the treatment plan appaointment and first therapy sessions are scheduled. 

Table 1 holds the Column[Document Summary] where I seek the following codes:

Treatment Plan

Pie Note (Session)

Discharge

This table is driven by the Document Date 

Table 2 holds the column [CPT Code] where I only need the code:

90791 (it equates to the initial CCA / Assessment)

This table is driven by the Service Date

Ideally I'd like a grid that displays as follows:

anwilkins_0-1635278247182.png

My tables are linked on the common patient id and the structure looks like this:

anwilkins_1-1635278390682.png

I can add a column to a new custom table, add a column to an existing table, or write a measure, I just need to know which is the best path. 

Thanks in advance for the assistance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@anwilkinsof course, that makes sense. 

1. In the MERGE_Documents table, create a Calculated Column and enter the following:

col_CPTCode = IF ( LOOKUPVALUE ( MERGE_BillingPayment[CPT Code] , MERGE_BillingPayment[CPT Code] , "90791" ) = "90791" , "90791" , "" )

To get the table you want, just create a Table with all of the fields you want from the MERGE_Documents table and once you done that, all you need to do is drag the new col_CPTCode Calculated Column into the Filter pane of the Table visual and untick "Blanks" so that only 90791 is selected.

TheoC_1-1635392208813.png

That will hopefully give you what you are after 🙂

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @anwilkins 

Ultimately, the "best" path is very dependent upon your current and future needs. For example, do you intend on using the outputs to manipulate down the track?  If so, I strongly recommend you consider Grouping / Merging the two tables using Power Query.

Otherwise, as you've mentioned, you can certainly create a new custom table and add the columns you require, and establish that as the basis of your output table. This option is a very good option as well. 

If you want to minimise the amount of tables, columns, etc., then I would go with your approach of a Calculated Column(s) on the existing table to return what you require.

My preference, and purely from the perspective of minimising the amount of DAX / coding, etc., I am using, would be to prepare the outputs in Power Query so that there's less "clutter" in the Report / Canvas view.  In saying that, it is a personal preference and others may have different views / thoughts.

Hope this has helped (and not added to confusion) but I think whatever path you choose, you're on a very good track given that you have already presented several great options in your post! 🙂

Best of luck with it all.

Theo 

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Thanks Theo but I guess I wasn't clear...I need help writing the script more than confirmation of the idea. I need to know the process (whether it's creating a calculated column, or writing DAX) to get this info...

Look in MERGE_BillingPayment table, CPT Code column, and return all records where CPT Code equals 90791 AND look in MERGE_Documents table, Document Summary column, and pull all records where Document Summary equals Treatment Plan, Pie Note and Discharge.

I want those 4 events to serve as column headers in a Matrix. Once the Service and Document Dates are added, I hope to use Conditional Formatting to highlight those spans greater than 21 days between events. Here is a pic of the original effort where all the data was pulled from the Documents table, however, I know it is not working correctly as I have blank dates and empty fields. 

anwilkins_0-1635333342617.png

So the short question is, step-by-step, how to pull multiple codes, from two columns in two different tables?

Hope that helps clarify a bit. 

@anwilkinsof course, that makes sense. 

1. In the MERGE_Documents table, create a Calculated Column and enter the following:

col_CPTCode = IF ( LOOKUPVALUE ( MERGE_BillingPayment[CPT Code] , MERGE_BillingPayment[CPT Code] , "90791" ) = "90791" , "90791" , "" )

To get the table you want, just create a Table with all of the fields you want from the MERGE_Documents table and once you done that, all you need to do is drag the new col_CPTCode Calculated Column into the Filter pane of the Table visual and untick "Blanks" so that only 90791 is selected.

TheoC_1-1635392208813.png

That will hopefully give you what you are after 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors