Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

edwardrmiles
Helper III
Helper III

Publishing to service is very slow

Hi, I'm publishing to a new client's Power BI tenant and the 'Publishing to Power BI' step is taking a very very long time, sometimes over 1 hour.  I've published many other reports to many other tenants and don't ever recall the publish step taking more than a couple of minutes (although this report is slightly larger than usual).  What might I be doing wrong? or is this normal? 

The specifics of my situation:

• PBIX is ~85mb
  • Publishing from the March 2020 release of Power BI Desktop
  • Publishing to a workspace (where I am the admin)
  • Signed in as a user with a Power BI account
  • On a network with upload speeds ~2MBPS (and download speed of ~20MPBS)
  • Occurs when creating new reports and replacing existing ones
  • Data refresh only takes a few minutes
5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @edwardrmiles,

As Greg_Deckler said, I'd like to suggest you do some further tests to confirm if this is a specific issue caused by a particular device, report or network. 

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

You can test to publish other reports or try to publish this file at another device that hosts in different networks. In addition, you can also use Fiddler to trace publish operation to check if any port or request has been blocked.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@Greg_Deckler thanks, submitted a ticket

@parry2k thanks, tried a different machine, a different network (4g mobile), and a different tenant... so maybe it's something to do with the PBIX

@v-shex-msft thanks, what should I be looking for in the Fiddler logs?

HI @erm1980,

Send and response result requests delay and status, network status, and data packs missing rate about 'publish to service' operations.

Normally you only need to pack correspond sessions and send them to power bi team as detailed contents for analysis and troubleshooting.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Not normal.

You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@edwardrmiles Didn't see any issue with the new version, maybe you want to try on another machine or another network to see if it machine or network related issue to narrow down the scope of the problem.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.