Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vicmen

Publishing to Web

I'm having problems publishing my report to Power BI. It's saying "Sorry, you don't have access to publish to this workspace. Please contact the owner for access." I have already gotten access to the workspace that I'm trying to publish to and I've waited for PowerBI to refresh. Are there any work-arounds for this problem?

5 REPLIES 5
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @vicmen,

In order to have permission to publish reports to a workspace, please make sure:

• You are a member that has been added into this workspace. 
  • The privacy needs to be set to "Members can edit Power BI content".
  • Alternatively, you are defined as Admin.

1.PNG

If you are still unable to publish, try either of these:

• Sign Out and Sign In again from PowerBI Desktop and then try to publish
  • Login in Power BI service, lick Get Data box on the lower left hand side and use “Files->Local file” entry to upload your PBIX file to pull/upload your file.

2.PNG

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

How would I go about publishing it to a new app workspace? I tried creating a new workspace and it just gives me an error. I'm trying to share my report with a few of my coworkers.

error 3.PNG

Hi @vicmen,

Have you resolved your issue? If so, please kindly mark the corresponding reply as an answer so that some other users can find the solution more easily. If you still have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @vicmen,

As I mentioned above, to publish report to an app workspace, you should be a member of that group and have "edit" permission not just "view" permission. Or you are defined as Administrator.

If you want to create a new app workspace, first you should have a Pro licence. The group creation in Power BI is now controlled by the group creation in Exchange Online. So an Exchange Online should be licensed along with the Pro Power BI license. In your scenario, please check in your Office 365 tenant whether group creation option is disabled. Reference: Cannot create a group

To share reports with your coworkers, please see: Intro to organizational content packs in Power BI

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Hello,

I've just stumbled onto this post while searching about creating workspaces and what is needed to share an App etc...

(I'm not sure if I should be opening a new thread...)

I confess I am a bit confused. I have been reading up on Power BI (and watched some of the support videos) and what I haven't been able to work out is EXACTLY what is needed for a company to be able to use the group workspaces and Content Packs/aka Apps.

I had up until now thought that Pro licenses sufficed, but having read this post it now doesn't seem clear if an "Exchange Online" is also needed (?). So my question is:

Can a company without an "Exchange License" or Office 365 License actually use Power BI as a company tool? If so, how?

Where can I find the actual requirements listed?

Thank you for any help,

Best regards,

Paul.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.