Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AishwariyaV
Helper IV
Helper IV

Publishing power bi report from desktop to app

Hi,

How to publish report from power bi desktop to the power bi app (dev environment) in power bi service?

An app was assigned to me, which i can get from power bi service -> apps. 

I want to publish a report to it. How to do that?

Thanks in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@AishwariyaV 

You publish the report to the workspace that the App was created from then update the App making sure that the new reporting is included in the App.

jdbuchanan71_0-1597938855449.png

View solution in original post

edhans
Super User
Super User

You publish reports to a workspace in the service, not to an app. Once it is in the service, you go to that workspace and then you create or update the existing app for that workspace. See this for guidance on app creation/updating .

Note: if you publish to the workspace and do not go and update the app, the app will have wrong info, or errors. So it is a two step process Publish, Update App.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

That is correct.  Until you update the App, the old version of the report will be what is showing in the app.  This allows you to publish the updated reports and check them in the service (in the workspace) before rolling them out to the app.

edhans
Super User
Super User

You publish reports to a workspace in the service, not to an app. Once it is in the service, you go to that workspace and then you create or update the existing app for that workspace. See this for guidance on app creation/updating .

Note: if you publish to the workspace and do not go and update the app, the app will have wrong info, or errors. So it is a two step process Publish, Update App.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

@edhans  @jdbuchanan71 

So if I understand correctly, every time you publish a new version of your report (included from the beginning in the app), even if you are overwriting the report (i.e. publishing in the same space with the same name, simply a new version) you DO have to use Update app for the changes in the new version to go through to the app.

Is my understanding correct?

Thank you  

Hi @edhans , @jdbuchanan71 ,

Thanks for the reply.

Is that the only way?

What does dev environment mean in terms of power bi service?

Hi @AishwariyaV ,

If you make sense, can you please accept the helpful answers as solution? More people who have the same question will benefit from this thread. Thanks!

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If you have a report you are not ready to release to public but want to view it on the service you can publish it to the workspace but not include it in the app.  Then you can go look at it in the workspace but people who only have access to the app will not see the report yet. 

Once you have it how you want it you can turn on including it in the app so in a way the workspace acts as the dev environment and the app is production.

There is no dev environment for Power BI workspaces. If you want to test, you publish to an alternative workspace. Power Apps and Power Automate have different environments.

Someone may be using the term "dev" to denote when they publish to the service. If that workspace is not accessable by users, but the app is (company wide app) then you can sort of look at it like that, but if you change a lot in the report, it can cause the app to break even if you don't update the app. Changing measure names, visuals, etc. So it isn't truly "dev" in that sense.

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@AishwariyaV 

You publish the report to the workspace that the App was created from then update the App making sure that the new reporting is included in the App.

jdbuchanan71_0-1597938855449.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.