Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Axiomite
Resolver II
Resolver II

Publishing from Power Bi Desktop as a Guest

Hi there,

Is there a way to publish from Power Bi Desktop to a clients environment/tenant? The client added me as guest user with admin privileges so I am able to edit reports on the Power Bi service. However, not sure if I can create a new report on Power Bi Desktop and publish to their environment? 

Would anyone be able to give some direction? 

Best Regards,
Axiomite

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Axiomite In this case, there is a limitaiton of publishing to workspace as a guest user from Power BI desktop. If they have created your user ID in their tenant in that case you could login in power bi desktop using that login ID and access their workspace. But in this case you will not be able to do so as your ID is added in their tenat as a guest user. Please go through the below text and link for detailed help

Distribute content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Considerations and Limitations

• By default, external Azure AD B2B limits guests to consumption of content only. External Azure AD B2B guests can view apps, dashboards, reports, and export data. They can't access workspaces or publish their own content. To remove these restrictions, you can use the Allow external guest users to edit and manage content in the organization feature.

• To invite guest users, a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license is needed. Pro Trial users can't invite guest users in Power BI.

• Some experiences are not available to guest users who can edit and manage content in the organization. To update or publish reports, guest users need to use the Power BI service, including Get Data, to upload Power BI Desktop files. The following experiences aren't supported:

• Direct publishing from Power BI desktop to the Power BI service
    • Guest users can't use Power BI desktop to connect to service datasets in the Power BI service
    • Classic workspaces tied to Microsoft 365 Groups
      • Guest users can't create or be Admins of these workspaces
      • Guest users can be members
    • Sending ad hoc invites isn't supported for workspace access lists
    • Power BI Publisher for Excel isn't supported for guest users
    • Guest users can't install a Power BI Gateway and connect it to your organization
    • Guest users can't install apps publish to the entire organization
    • Guest users can't use, create, update, or install organizational content packs
    • Guest users can't use Analyze in Excel
    • Guest users can't be @mentioned in commenting
    • Guest users can't create subscriptions
    • Guest users who use this capability should have a work or school account
  • Guest users using social identities will experience more limitations because of sign-in restrictions.

• They can use consumption experiences in the Power BI service through a web browser
    • They can't use the Power BI Mobile apps
    • They won't be able to sign in where a work or school account is required
  • This feature isn't currently available with the Power BI SharePoint Online report web part.

• There are Azure Active Directory settings that can limit what external guest users can do within your overall organization. Those settings also apply to your Power BI environment. The following documentation discusses the settings:

• You can share content from a government cloud, like GCC, to an external commercial cloud user. However, the guest user can't use their own license. The content has to be in capacity assigned to Premium to enable access. Or, you can assign a Power BI Pro license to the guest account.

• Sharing outside your organization isn't supported for national clouds, like the Germany or China cloud instances. Instead, create user accounts in your organization that external users can use to access the content.

• If you share directly to a guest user, Power BI will send them an email with the link. To avoid sending an email, add the guest user to a security group and share to the security group.

i hope you get some direction from here.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am the admin of a premium tennant and for some reason this does not make sense.
If someone has a pro licence from his consultancy firm and that person is allowed as a guest user with a guest adress such as thebest.consultant_bestfirm#EXT#@mycompany.onmicrosoft.com then why would I request a personal account on my own AAD and pay yet an other licence for that consultant only to let that consultant publish a report. 

This can end up for that consultant having multiple pro licences while just beeing one person

Axiomite
Resolver II
Resolver II

Many thanks @negi007 🙏

negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Axiomite In this case, there is a limitaiton of publishing to workspace as a guest user from Power BI desktop. If they have created your user ID in their tenant in that case you could login in power bi desktop using that login ID and access their workspace. But in this case you will not be able to do so as your ID is added in their tenat as a guest user. Please go through the below text and link for detailed help

Distribute content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Considerations and Limitations

• By default, external Azure AD B2B limits guests to consumption of content only. External Azure AD B2B guests can view apps, dashboards, reports, and export data. They can't access workspaces or publish their own content. To remove these restrictions, you can use the Allow external guest users to edit and manage content in the organization feature.

• To invite guest users, a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license is needed. Pro Trial users can't invite guest users in Power BI.

• Some experiences are not available to guest users who can edit and manage content in the organization. To update or publish reports, guest users need to use the Power BI service, including Get Data, to upload Power BI Desktop files. The following experiences aren't supported:

• Direct publishing from Power BI desktop to the Power BI service
    • Guest users can't use Power BI desktop to connect to service datasets in the Power BI service
    • Classic workspaces tied to Microsoft 365 Groups
      • Guest users can't create or be Admins of these workspaces
      • Guest users can be members
    • Sending ad hoc invites isn't supported for workspace access lists
    • Power BI Publisher for Excel isn't supported for guest users
    • Guest users can't install a Power BI Gateway and connect it to your organization
    • Guest users can't install apps publish to the entire organization
    • Guest users can't use, create, update, or install organizational content packs
    • Guest users can't use Analyze in Excel
    • Guest users can't be @mentioned in commenting
    • Guest users can't create subscriptions
    • Guest users who use this capability should have a work or school account
  • Guest users using social identities will experience more limitations because of sign-in restrictions.

• They can use consumption experiences in the Power BI service through a web browser
    • They can't use the Power BI Mobile apps
    • They won't be able to sign in where a work or school account is required
  • This feature isn't currently available with the Power BI SharePoint Online report web part.

• There are Azure Active Directory settings that can limit what external guest users can do within your overall organization. Those settings also apply to your Power BI environment. The following documentation discusses the settings:

• You can share content from a government cloud, like GCC, to an external commercial cloud user. However, the guest user can't use their own license. The content has to be in capacity assigned to Premium to enable access. Or, you can assign a Power BI Pro license to the guest account.

• Sharing outside your organization isn't supported for national clouds, like the Germany or China cloud instances. Instead, create user accounts in your organization that external users can use to access the content.

• If you share directly to a guest user, Power BI will send them an email with the link. To avoid sending an email, add the guest user to a security group and share to the security group.

i hope you get some direction from here.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors