Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Ormesome
Helper II
Helper II

Publishing from Desktop to Service

Using Power BI Desktop I have developed a report which draws on Google Analytics. After I publish the report to Power BI Service I am unable to refresh the dataset - it requests that I install the Personal Gateway.

Is it possible to write reports in Power BI Desktop then publish and share, or do I have to write the reports within Power BI Service?

Google Analytics within Power BI Desktop has so many fields to choose from (and I did), but when I install the Google Analytics App I have access to only 4 objects. Is there another Google Analytics object I should be choosing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable
4 REPLIES 4
Ormesome
Helper II
Helper II

The issue wasn't Google Analytics, after all.

The issue is an imported csv file of calendar data. Power BI is trying to refresh the table but there is no gateway to refresh it from.

How do you typically embed a calendar table into your reports?

Hi @Ormesome,

Yes, it it caused by csv file. Based on my test, if we only use Google Analysis connector in desktop to get data and create a report, after publish it to the service and schedule refresh, it doesn't require any gateway. 

If you want to create a refresh schedule to refresh the dataset including csv file and Google Analytics, you need to install a gateway then add the csv file as data source if you istall on-premiuses gateway(you don't need to configure data source if you use personal gateway), then you can refresh it successfully.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.

I initially set up the gateway to get the report running, but this solution (autogenerating the table) seems better to me since the table is being used to facilitate DAX queries rather than enforce data integrity.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.