Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sgruber
Frequent Visitor

Publishing failed for an unknown reason

When trying to publish my report from Power BI Desktop to the Power Bi Service, I am getting the following error: Publishing failed for an unknown reason".

I have tried to get support on this from Microsoft as I am on a Pro Trial, but it doesn't let me (see that issue here: Re: Can't get support on Power BI Pro Trial and won't let me purchase Pro).

Nonetheless, I am hoping I can maybe get some guidance as to what is causing the error? I have searched the forums and haven't found an effect solution yet, other than that I must record my trace when the error happens. See the relevant parts below:

If it helps, My dashboard is made up of the following components:

• Matrix preview
  • Table preview
  • Hierarchy slicer
  • Clustered bar chart

My data sources are:

• OLEDB connection to a local database
  • Web query via an API call
  • Some manually enetered lookup tables

I have replicated this same result on anothe rcomputer with another user. Any help in diagnosing what is causing this issue would be greatly appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If you create a new file, do you get the same issue? For example, create a new file and just copy over the lookup tables. Publish. Then add in the web query. Publish. Add in the OLEDB source, Publish and then build reports and Publish iteratively. Interested if you can publish anything at all.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Good idea, I'll give it a try and report back. Does the trace give any indication of the issue?

I built it up step by step as you described. Was fine until I added the OLEDB query and when I tried to publish that version it succeded but said that it couldn't refresh the dataset and that I'd have to manually do it in the service (which makes senses I guess as it a local db. However, once I add the visuals to the dashboard and tried to publish, it failed with the same error as before ("unknown reason"), and even stepping back afterwards to just the data queries without the visuals did not resolve the error, until I removed the OLEDB query. So it does seem to be the OLEDB query, which makes sense I guess, just wish the error could be more descriptive, like "unable to connect to database". Anyway to set something like VPN settings for the Power BI Service to connect to a locally hosted database? 

Hi @sgruber,

>> Anyway to set something like VPN settings for the Power BI Service to connect to a locally hosted database? 

You can use personal gateway to manage these local databases.  If your dataset contains multiple data sources which need both personal gateway and on-premise gateway to refresh, it may cause the issue.

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.