Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Publishing content pack, connected to MS CRM Online OData source

Hi,

As a data analyst, i have connected to the OData source of MS CRM. Created a set of reports. Now I want to share these as a content pack with the sales team in my organization.

I have access to all the data whereas the sales team has access to the specific business unit as defined in CRM.

Challenge I face is, when I publish the report and dataset as content pack, the sales team get access to all the data that I can see. They see much more than what they should be. How do I control the access to excessive data ?

Regards,

Ashsih

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Ashsih,

In addition to other post, as per this blog, content packs support for Row-Level Security(RLS) in Power BI Service April Update, however, the feature is still in Preview state.

You can review the following blog to get more details about how to configure RLS.
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-service-march-update-part-two/

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lydia,

Thanks for your inputs.

To use the RLS feature, I will have to define security in powerbi dataset isn't it (creating roles and defining the specific rules)? This will result in duplication of effort and maintenance overhead, as the user's access is determined by the unit to which they are allocated in CRM and we will have to replicate the same in PowerBI. Everytime a user is moved from one unit to the other or a new user is created within CRM, we will have to make that change in PowerBI.

Regards,

Ashish

@Anonymous wrote:

To use the RLS feature, I will have to define security in powerbi dataset isn't it (creating roles and defining the specific rules)?

Hi aruparel,

Yes. Power BI cannot inherit the user permissions from CRM. And there are some limitations with RLS, every time you change user permission within CRM, you would need to make changes in RLS based on your needs.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

How is this achieved when a content pack is published for online services, like the out of box CRM content pack that is available in PowerBI ? Can we not have a similar deployment of in house developed reports ?

Regards,

Ashish

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

The answer is Row Level Security I believe but I don't think that has made its way to be supported in content packs just yet, but I am pretty certain it is planned. Check the Ideas section and filter for in progess or planned.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.