Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hannahGala
Frequent Visitor

Publishing - asking for email address and then stopping?

Hiya,

We have an issue in PBI Desktop - when we click Publish, it would normally ask us for our email, then the password, then which workspace, then to overwrite Y/N, etc

However it's now only asking us for our email, then when we hit okay the password box never appears and neither do any of the subsequent boxes - why would this be?

We can log in okay online, internet appears to be working.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

False alarm. Turns out IT Dept changed some kind of proxy server which stopped us connecting out from desktop to web PBI 😞

It's fixed now though! ❤️

Thanks for all help.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi hannahGala,

For troubleshooting, please check if you are using domain mail to login PBI desktop.  In addtion, please update your PBI desktop to the latest version and try again. 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

False alarm. Turns out IT Dept changed some kind of proxy server which stopped us connecting out from desktop to web PBI 😞

It's fixed now though! ❤️

Thanks for all help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

It sounds like the PBI Service never logged you out from the previous session.  My login is cached as well, even though it's been a couple of days and I've rebooted since the last time.  I'd recommend you 'Sign Out' after every session if you have concerns.  That way, you'll always be challenged when you Publish.  Otherwise, you'll always stay logged in.  

Thanks @Anonymous.

It's happening for all users - so not sure it's an issue caused by me not signing out?

I've cleared the cache, it's still not working. Do you have any ideas as to what might fix it?

Thanks

Hannah

Anonymous
Not applicable

The only way to fix this would be to sign out.  Right click on the icon of a person in the upper right area of the PBI Service display and select "Sign Out".  If you're sharing a login, then the next person logging in with those credentials would have to enter the login and password, etc.  When they're done, they would need to 'Sign Out' too.  Otherwise, the PBI Service will keep you logged in.

Sign Out.JPG

Isn't that a screenshot of the web application? I'm in desktop. I can't sign out of desktop because I can't even sign in.

Hannah

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes,  You're correct.  I assumed you were talking about the Service (web app).  I don't believe there's any login for the Desktop.  It's just an application that's installed on your hard drive.  I've never been asked to login to the Desktop version.  

When I hit Publish, this is the first box I get, I fill it in and click "Sign In", then I get no more, just does nothing.

screenshot1.png

Note - this worked fine until today!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry Hannah but I've never had that problem (at least not yet) .   PBI Desktop must be saving your credentials somewhere.   

I took a quick look and noticed that when I click on my name in the upper right area and select Switch User, the dialog appears.  I also noticed that I wasn't able to cancel out of that action so I had to sign in again (even though I was already signed in).  I was able to sign in and it appears to be working for me.  I'm not sure of what's happening in your situation.  

Maybe someone else in this community with more experience can offer a solution?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.