Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pratk30
Advocate I
Advocate I

Publishing Report

Hi Folk,

I need to publish on Power BI report where Datasource is from SQL DB.

Made this report in dev environment(available till project end) using Gateway in PowerBI Desktop.

Now i need to publish this report in Production, do i need Gateway if it is not available in production. If yes, what account is required to create this gateway.

And how report will be published in production and whom account will be used for this. Do i need pwerbi desktop there as i can not connect Production DB from Dev environment.

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3

@pratk30

Now i need to publish this report in Production, do i need Gateway if it is not available in production. If yes, what account is required to create this gateway. You will need a gateway installed in the production environment. This should be set up by an individual with admin privelages to reduce any install issues.

And how report will be published in production and whom account will be used for this.

When the gateway is installed. The user who set it up needs to sign in to the Service, and add you as an admin on the gateway in order for you to create the datasource connection to Prod. OR they need to do this and add you as a user on the datasource.

In the Dev environment, you can change your Desktop connection to the Production SQL instance that matches the gateway datasource exactly and publish the PBIX file. (I would recommend an app workspace). The report should work in the Service at that point, despite you not being able to connect from the DEV box where you have the Desktop installed.

Do i need pwerbi desktop there as i can not connect Production DB from Dev environment.

Only if you need to modify the report with Prod data. Otherwise you would just switch the connection strings each time and continue to publish from DEV to the Service.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer 

In the Dev environment, you can change your Desktop connection to the Production SQL instance that matches the gateway datasource exactly and publish the PBIX file. (I would recommend an app workspace). The report should work in the Service at that point, despite you not being able to connect from the DEV box where you have the Desktop installed.

I have tried this option-

• Created gateway in production and login with common account.
  • Created datasource there with Production SQL DB  successfully and added my account under users tab.
  • then in dev environment, logged in power bi desktop through my account and tried to connect SQL server source of PRodcution same which we added in gateway through common account and got below error :
    • "Microsoft SQL: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)"

@pratk30 That is expected, you are in the DEV environment and it isn't surprising that you can't hit the other domain. However, after you publish the report to the Service, I expect that the connection will light up and the report will work against the Prod datasource that matches what you have in the Desktop file.

This is the back and forth I spoke of. If you want to update the report, you would need to change the connection back to DEV in the Desktop so you would see data again. Then change it (break it) and Publish.

Hypothetically this works 🙂

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors