Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Publishing/Dataset question

I currently have a folder on my desktop of excel workbooks that are my data sources for a power BI desktop dashboard. When I'm finished making my the Power BI desktop, I "publish" this report to my workspace on the Power BI service and then share the report with certain members of my organization. If I make changes to the excel workbooks saved in my folder on my desktop, will this automatically make changes to my published report on the Power BI service when the data is refreshed?

Let me know if this is not clear and/or if i'm going about this the wrong way. Any literature/info you can provide would be helpful. 

3 REPLIES 3
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

How about the result after you follow the suggestions mentioned in my original post?Could you please provide more details about it If it doesn't meet your requirement?

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

If you mean refresh in Power BI Desktop, then need to re-publish to Service to update the data.

But if you want to refresh data directly in Power BI Service, Since your data source in on-premises, we need to configure the gateway and data source credential in power bi Service

Then we can use the on demand refresh or configure schedule refresh to update data in Power BI Service directly.

35.png

36.png

You can also refer the data refresh and Configure scheduled refresh

If you have any questions, please kindly ask here and we will try to resolve it.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Yes, when you refresh the data either by the Service doing it automatically on a schedule or opening Power BI Desktop, refresh, republish.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.