Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

thegekko42
Frequent Visitor

Publishing Composite Model

Hi

I have had some issues with a model where I needed to add a table to a direct query.

As I can't change the source data I needed to do this in Power BI, but as I need the model to be live I needed it to be direct query and therefore I couldn't add a table.

And then I found Composite Models 🙂

I switched it on, added my table and it all worked perfectly 🙂

Until I had completed first stage of the model and needed to publish......

Then I was met with the error "Publishing is Disabled. The file can't be published to the Power BI service yet becasue it includes the following preview features: Composite models"

It says yet.

Does that mean that this will be activated?

Since the feature is new is the full functionality yet to come?

Or is there a way to activate publishing for composite models?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It looks like this may be enabled in the cloud service with the October update, based on the roadmap update from last month's Business Applications summit:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/business-applications-release-notes/october18/intelligence-platform...

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
thegekko42
Frequent Visitor

It works for me, although the limitations did not work as I expected.

My composite model worked perfectly in Desktop, but after poublishing to Service some features did not work.

So I posted a question on the Service board.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Error-when-filtering-visual-in-Composite-Model/m-p/545537#M...

I got my composite model to work perfectly on Service after a little tinkering.

So I now have a model with Import and DirectQuery live on Service 🙂

Hi @Anonymous @thegekko42

Appreciate your response on the issue with composite model on service.

@thegekko42: The issue is not with import and direct query. Issue is with dual storage and direct query.

I have already raised a support ticket and I am working with Microsoft. Will update here for any sollution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 🙂 

Just to give an update on my issue: It seems like the issue is related to the type of connector used. So we used a sql server instead of a azure sql db connector (historical reasons- but the source is azure). And that is then causing some issues in the service since it's saying we need to install a gateway. I however tried with a new test pbix file- one import table and one direct query from the same azure sql db. And then I get a different error saying it cannot determine relationships (however there is a relationship between these two tables in desktop and that's not causing any issue). 

Will keep you posted on further updates. 

Thanks for the update but basically the issue is the below:

1) Direct routing and Import works in service but the relationship doesn't work.

2) Dual Storage and import works in desktop and publishes in service with proper relationship but the schedule refresh is failing.

Any one has any update on this?

anil
Helper III
Helper III

@thegekko42

Even I faced the same issue. I found an alternate way to publish on power bi service.

We can manually upload the pbix file on the service. And configure the gateway settings. It worked for me. Hope it works for you too.

Wondering how we can upload the pbix file manually but not by publishing it through power bi desktop.

alexoriginal
Frequent Visitor

Hi 

I have been getting this error but I don't have any composite data models at present?

I tried it the composite data model at first,  then I realised that I didn't need the extra data so I deleted it.

now its telling me that there are composite data models.

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@thegekko42,

Here is a note.

While composite models are in Preview, it is not possible to publish composite models to the Power BI service.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks 

Has anyone seen anything about how long it's expected to be in preview for?

Weighing up whether to restart my model from scratch or complete it and puclish once that has been released.

It looks like this may be enabled in the cloud service with the October update, based on the roadmap update from last month's Business Applications summit:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/business-applications-release-notes/october18/intelligence-platform...

BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

Do we know when the October release will occur?  

Trying to decide whether it's worthwhile to create a temporary solution or just wait for the update.

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@schwinnen wrote:

Do we know when the October release will occur?  

Trying to decide whether it's worthwhile to create a temporary solution or just wait for the update.

Thanks.

You can now publish composite models to Service.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-october-2018-feature-summary/#compositeMod...

Its not happening though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same problem!!

When will this feature be available? I need to publish the reports to Power BI service with composite models..

@Anonymous

For now, you can directly upload the pbix files to power bi workspaces, instead of publishing from the desktop. It is working for me with composite models.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@anil

Is this supported in production too? We want to use it in production now. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a question, is there no option to use one-to-many relationships in composite? I have tried now on different datasets, with obvious dimensions without dups and many to many is the only option. And btw. I also have the issue with data refresh on composite, the product team is investigating the issue. 

It is available now. You have to download the latest update and it should work.

I am also getting this error  even though I don't have composite data models

At first, I tried it  to see  what it was like and then deleted the data  as I didn't need.

Now its persistently telling me that it won't publish cause of composite data models.

@alexoriginal check your data model and make sure you don't have a many-to-many relationship between any tables.

Hi @otravers,

If we need to set up a relationship between dual and import, it automatically enables a many to many relationship. I am able to filter it now but when publishing I get some crazy errors. If I change it back to direct query, it works again. This is frustrating.

dfsf.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.