Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Timaru_Golf
Advocate II
Advocate II

Publish without applying changes on the Desktop

Hi,

I have developed a dataset that pulls in lots of files from our OneDrive and it takes forever to update from the desktop.

So I am wondering -- If i make changes to the desktop Query and then save the file without applying the changes and then Publish the file and do a refresh on the web do the new changes get applied on the web version of the dataset?

Regards

Andrew

6 REPLIES 6
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Timaru_Golf,

could you please tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, could you please mark the helpful replies as Answered?

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
zlokesh
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @Timaru_Golf,

Please go through the below screen shot you will get Idea.

Save is Necessary then only we can publish report.  (When you press Publish button , it pop-ups the message box to save)

Accept solution if you are satisfied, else let me know so that can help more. Thanks

Need To Save before Publish reportNeed To Save before Publish report

masplin
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I have exact same issue. The server on which i have to run the desktop is not powerful enoguh to refrsh the query so i can't apply it in desktop. i tried as you did to save anyway and publish but sadly the servie only refreshes the query that were successfully applied. 

seems a major limitation and the servie is much more efficient at refreshing datasets than the desktop on alocal machine.

I have no idea how to proceed now. Did you find any solution?

Mike

Hi,

My workaround was to use a parameter to reduce the amount of data i was processing for the desktop and then change the parameter once uploaded to the cloud.

masplin
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Ah thats a god idea. So say you have a start date in a seperate table and you set it short to upload the fact table. Thenyou change the start date to be al lthe data and just update that table and then publish?

Mike

v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Timaru_Golf,

Based on my test, you could not get the new changes without applying the changes in query editor.

1.I have replace the value “Germany” to “test one” without applying changes and published the pbix file to the service.

M.PNG

2.I refreshed the dataset and the value of the “Germany” is still shown as the original value like the picture.

Y.PNG

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.