Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Publish to Web MIA

Scenario: Separate data file and report file. Data file is connecting to SharePoint Online Lists using OData connections. Published to workspace. Report file is connected to data file via Power BI data connection. Published to workspace.

In the past, I've gone to app.powerbi.com, look at the report, the choose the Publish to Web to get an embed code. I put the embed code into a web page for anonymous access. Worked fine, no problems.

Until recently. I went to go refresh the embed code, and the only options I have is Embed securely or Embed securely in SharePoint Online, no Publish to Web option anymore. I'm wanting to publish reports anonymously so that not everyone in my organization has to go sign-up for yet another service.

Is it because the Data file is considered a Live Connection? According to this article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-publish-to-web, reports using Live Connections cannot Publish to Web.

3 REPLIES 3
sschanbacher

I was cursing Microsoft, then realized I had been playing with roles from the security area within the modeling tab (in the desktop app). Check to ensure roles are configured correctly, or better, as a test, remove all roles and publish to see if the web option re-appears. Worked for me!

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

Maybe you can try to use publish to sharepoint features to embed your report to sharepoint side:

Embed with report web part in SharePoint Online

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

• The two options I have is 'Embed: Securely embed this report in a website or portal' and 'Embed in SharePoint Online: Get a link to securely embed this report in a SharePoint page'. Both options involve the word 'securely', which apparently means that whoever wants to see the report needs to login with a PowerBI account. I want anonymous access to the PowerBI reports for my organization, and handle secure access through other means. I used to be able to embed reports without users having to login with a PowerBI account.
  • I am not using Roles anywhere in PowerBI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.