Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HeenaPat
Regular Visitor

Publish datasets and reports

I am trying to move datasets and reports from my workspace to a shared workspace. When I try and publish these I do not get the option to select a destination for the new workspace. At the bottom right of my dataset on the desktop version: "Connected live to the Power BI Support Dataset in My Workspace."  Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

The message you are seeing means that the report you have open in your Desktop is not the report that the dataset originates from.  The report you have open is 'connected' to a dataset in your workspace.  As such you will not be able to publish the dataset at all from what you have open, since it is not in your report.

To move this dataset, you need to download the containing pbix file (rpeort) that was used to build it - then you will be able to publish to a new locaitons.

The original report / dataset author has published the dataset (i.e. you have - its your personal workspace) and set it up as a shared dataset.  It appears that the report you have open is just connecting to this original report / dataset and consuming it (hence the live connection message).

So - locate the originating rpeort, download that and re-publish it to the new locaiton and dont foget to then re-point your other reports to the new dataset too !!

Form detailed explanations and rules see this page:

Shared Datasets

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@HeenaPat click edit queries even if it is disabled and thats where you can change which dataset you want to connect assuming other dataset is shared with you.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Thanks, I do see that option. However I want to pubslish the dataset to a new workpace. Thank you

Hi,

The message you are seeing means that the report you have open in your Desktop is not the report that the dataset originates from.  The report you have open is 'connected' to a dataset in your workspace.  As such you will not be able to publish the dataset at all from what you have open, since it is not in your report.

To move this dataset, you need to download the containing pbix file (rpeort) that was used to build it - then you will be able to publish to a new locaitons.

The original report / dataset author has published the dataset (i.e. you have - its your personal workspace) and set it up as a shared dataset.  It appears that the report you have open is just connecting to this original report / dataset and consuming it (hence the live connection message).

So - locate the originating rpeort, download that and re-publish it to the new locaiton and dont foget to then re-point your other reports to the new dataset too !!

Form detailed explanations and rules see this page:

Shared Datasets

Thank you. I will try and see if this works. Thanks for the help on this

@HeenaPat ok so when you publish, you will see all the workspaes you have access to under your logged in tenant and you should able to select the workspace under which you want to publish, not sure if this is what you are looking for

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Thanks, so the issue is when I click "Publish", the select destination window to select a new workspace does not pop up. Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.