Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Apinto64
Frequent Visitor

Publish button on Power BI Desktop november is not working

I'm using the Power BI Desktop november version and the publish button is not working

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

We have identified the issue and are working to get a fix out to the Power BI service. Expect to see it resolved by Monday. Sorry for the trouble. 

View solution in original post

The fix has now been deployed. Please let us know if you're still running into issues with publish.

Yes! It works now with my account and woth November update! THANKS

42 REPLIES 42
Cubist
Advocate II
Advocate II

It's not working again for me now on April 24, 2018.  Same problem, Power BI Publish button is greyed out in the desktop app.  Duplicated on two different systems with two of our accounts.  

One test was done by downloading normally the latest desktop version from the power bi site.  The test on the other machine was done by installing via the Windows 10 store app and allowing it to receive updates.  Same result both systems.  

No problem logging into either the desktop app or the online service, it's just that the Publish button is disabled in the desktop app.

PBI Desktop Version: 2.57.5068.721 64-bit (April 2018)

Windows 10 Version: 10.0.16299.402

Wth? I'm missing something obvious?

Hi Cubist,

Is the Publish button greyed out for all pbix files or just specific ones? The Publish button is greyed out for blank reports. There is another Publish button in File > Publish > Publish to Power BI, is that one greyed out as well?

Tuan.

Hi Folks 

can any one answer this the publish button  button is grayed out , in file -> publish also grayed out,  not for the all the files only a specific PBiX file. 

Thanks 

Nara

harrisben
Regular Visitor

Thank god I've finally found other people experiencing this issue!

Irritatingly, this is marked as solved but it is not solved at all. Pushing your dataset to PowerBI via the web interface might work, but what about design changes?

Here it is on December 3, 2017 and still no fix...

Oddly, it was working when I published the other day, but as of this evening, nothing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am experiencing the same problem! 

Worked fine on Friday 1 Dec, this morning it simply wont publish.

mlcollins
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issue.  Repair, uninstall, reinstall does not work.  Runing pro verison on Windows 10

Using Get Data from the PBI Service and navigating to the PBI Desktop file update the PBI service file and, thus, publish it.

I hadn't done that before, but it worked fine. 

A workaround for this issue is to upload the pbix directly in the service.

Anonymous
Not applicable

But you have to rebuild the report - which is time consuming. You only import the dataset through "Get Data"

same issue here... 

We have identified the issue and are working to get a fix out to the Power BI service. Expect to see it resolved by Monday. Sorry for the trouble. 

Spurta
Frequent Visitor

@kimani wrote:

I just realized that "Monday" in this case means December 4, 2017.

When you're in thread with posts across multiple date ranges, "Monday" could be better stated as a calendar date.

Fingers crossed the solution rolls out on schedule.

And in Australia that means Tuesday.  

Microsoft has created an excellent cadence with the monthly releases and features.  Work needs to be done on the hotfix process though!  Too many users effected by this issue and took too long to resolve.  <sad panda>

The fix has now been deployed. Please let us know if you're still running into issues with publish.

Its still not working for government users

This just broke on me this morning.  I am a government power bi user and know I usually lag but really?  How could it have suddenly broken today??

Did you just upgrade Power BI Desktop today?

Yes! It works now with my account and woth November update! THANKS

Hi Daniel,

You can publish a .pbix file through the web using the Get Data button (Get Data > Get (under Files) >Local File).

Tuan.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors