Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

yuvipoy

Publish BI Report

Once we publish reports, does users need to have a Power BI accounts to view and interact with them?

If so why?Why my customer or enduser needs Power BI credentials Why cant be my log in what is the logic here?

7 REPLIES 7
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @yuvipoy,

Just a quick clarification, in that you can Share a Dashboard from "My Workspace" for free. This will allow the user to go into the Dashboard and then to the underlying reports.

The only thing to be aware of, is that if you use any Pro features in your dashboard or reports, then the users you Share it with will also require a Pro license.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

1. Without having account in power BI user cant access ur dashboard.

Have one more option to share dashboard with your user , but it is not security.

This method is called embeded your dashboard in public.

Look this link 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-publish-to-web/

Thanks Baskar.

But why it is not secure, then what Power BI has?

Then how can i give the report to my end user. Even my end user needs to know my report then only i can gain in my bussiness that is my goal.

Say if i have more than 100K end users are there i can't go for Power BI, since it not secure ??

Hi @yuvipoy,

When you use “Publish to Web” feature to share a report, everyone who has the link or embed code shown in the following screenshot can access the report, they cannot edit the report, but they can view it with no restriction. This is why we say that the “Publish to Web” feature is not secure. This feature is appropriate for the scenario that you do not publish confidential or proprietary information in the report and you don’t want the end users to sign up Power BI accounts.

However, if you want to share reports to end users with security, the end users would need to sign up Power BI accounts. However, the end users don’t require Power BI license as long as the dashboard you shared to them only contain Power BI free features. For more details about sharing Power BI reports, please review this article: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-how-should-i-share-my-dashboard/ .

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Is it possible to SHARE a REPORT, not a DASHBOARD?

I publish the report on line, but because of confidentiality, I took it off. I noticed that I can olny share dashboards, but i want to share the hole report.

Is it possible?

Thanks!

Sorry my dear friend,

we can't share the report , we can only share the dashboard. once u click on dashboard it will automatically bring u to the report.

Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

If your seeing the dashboard within Power BI Service it is totally secure.

1. what am trying to say if u embeded your dashboard in public that is not secure .

2. If u want to share your dashboard with end user u must have to purchase license .  If u have licinse u can restrict the user at data level too.

3. U have embeded your dashboard with other technology too like .net and Sharepoint like etc. but am not sure it will support all the power BI features.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.