Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

zatennisfan

Pruning text

Hi All

Banging my head against something...

I want to cut all the text out of column except for certain strings. Anyone got any ideas??

For example I want to remove all text except "STANDARDPACK","EMS" and "ENTERPRISE" from a list of licenses

And then I want to rearrange the strings.

I'm assuming that it's a custom column formula but I can't figure out the syntax.

Regards

Peter Johnson

2 REPLIES 2

I would use the Power Query functionality.  Add a new column and search for these strings.  If you find them, put them in the new blank column.  Once you have the new blank column with just this text, delete the original column

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Thanks Matt

It took some jumping through hoops and I've probably not done it in the most efficient way but I got what I needed.

I now have the EMS,ENTERPRISEPACK and STANDARDPACK clustered togther so I can generate a drill down that will show me who has these three licenses in the all the possible combinations e.g. EMS only, EMS and E1 etc.

You pointed the direction out of the box I'd overthought my way into...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.