Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Proxy authentification error with July update

Hello,

Since I've installed the July PowerBI release I'm unable to sign in order to publish reports to the cloud. I always get this message:

2019-08-07 08_20_25-PowerBI Siign Error.png

In the trace file I get this message:

WebException = {\"ClassName\":\"System.Net.WebException\",\"Message\":\"The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required.

Opening the link to the documentation I see that some domains need to be whitelisted:

• app.powerbi.com
  • api.powerbi.com
  • domains in the *.analysis.windows.net namespace

My question is why this release require these proxy settings modifications whereas the older ones are just working fine ??? These changes are not possible in all organizations so we have to revert back to a previous version of PowerBI...

Thanks for your help

Thomas

6 REPLIES 6
njagua

We are experiencing the same issue. We are also unable to sign in to power bi desktop even with the links added to the proxy exceptions. Any update about this issue?

jordi75

I have the same issue... I cannot modify the firewall to reach the URL without authentication. Going back to a previous release is not accettable. Please fix the bug

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys,

Same problem here using the October version (2.74.5619.621) . Did you find a valid solution, except downgrading ?

Regards.

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

Yes, when this error occurs, the most likely reason is that a proxy authentication server on your network is blocking the web requests issued by Power BI Desktop.

If you want to analysis the trace log, pleae go to File > Options and settings > Options and then select Diagnostics from the options in the left pane. 

Here is the update log, you can find the update content of each power bi version. If you want to download the old version, please go to this link.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuta-msft ,

Thanks for your answer. 

Yes we are behind the proxy but that is not the point. The point is that the July release seems not able to handle authentification behind a proxy. Previous releases (June release included) are just working fine with the proxy. On my point of view it is a bug of the July release. Going back to a previous release is a short term solution but I want to be sure that this issue will be corrected in the next PBI Desktop releases. 

You are not alone.  I'm seeing the same issue - earlier versions of Power BI authenticated without an issue; the current update claims that proxy authentication is preventing the login.  Our proxy has always required authentication and Power BI has never prompted me for credentials, so I assume it's been piggy-backing on Internet Explorer's sessions or something similar.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.