Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mpcarpenter
Helper I
Helper I

Pros and cons of putting all values in one column (and using a dimension to distinguish fields)

I recently joined a team that uses a PBI model to hold what is, in effect, a data warehouse (lots of disparate data and indicators about a common set of organisations). One choice they’ve made, which seems to very odd to me, is to put all the numbers in one field (called “Value”) and distinguish them using a dimension (e.g. so “number of staff” will be in the same column as “number of calls”). They then use CALCULATE functions to pick out specific data items. This seems like a recipe for confusion and a pretty poor platform on which to do any decent analytics.

They’ve put a lot of work into their model, but it was one by someone with a background in databases rather than PBI.

I have 2 questions:

• Am I missing something (is this actually a good way to proceed)?
  • How can I persuade them to rebuild things in a more sensible model?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
harshnathani
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @mpcarpenter ,

Have a look at this blog.

Written by one of the BI Experts.

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2020/08/09/the-pros-and-cons-of-modelling-measures-as-a-dimension-in-po...

You can persuade you team after reading this.

Read the comments too. They are interesting

Regards,
Harsh Nathani
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate with a Kudos!! (Click the Thumbs Up Button)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
harshnathani
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @mpcarpenter ,

Have a look at this blog.

Written by one of the BI Experts.

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2020/08/09/the-pros-and-cons-of-modelling-measures-as-a-dimension-in-po...

You can persuade you team after reading this.

Read the comments too. They are interesting

Regards,
Harsh Nathani
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate with a Kudos!! (Click the Thumbs Up Button)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors