Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AnandNamburi
Helper III
Helper III

Pros and Cons of a JSON With Power BI

Hi All,

I'm very new to Power BI and here I'm trying to understand what are the Pros and Cons of Power BI when we connected to JSON, instead ofa DB and an excel file.

Example:

Con:When we connect to JOSN file, need to do a liite bit of transformations according to complexity of data. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I don't think you have much of a choice.  When a data source presents its data in JSON format you have to accept it and try to convert it into something that is usable in your tool. 

If you are lucky the JSON has a simple structure and can be "flattened"  without loss of information. 

But there are cases where JSON is more complex, has multiple nested hierarchies, and does not translate well into a table.

What is your actual question?  Should you stay away from JSON data sources?  No, of course not - often you have no choice. But beware that it is not a "native"  format for tools like Power BI, Qlik or Tableau.  Even though these tools tout their associative models and extended table philosophies etc, they are still closer to (really powerful) traditional RDBMS than to XML databases, NoSQL or unstructured data stores .

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AnandNamburi 

If this issue has been solved, please kindly mark the suitable reply as a solution to help others find it more quickly. If not, please let us know to help you better. Thanks!

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I don't think you have much of a choice.  When a data source presents its data in JSON format you have to accept it and try to convert it into something that is usable in your tool. 

If you are lucky the JSON has a simple structure and can be "flattened"  without loss of information. 

But there are cases where JSON is more complex, has multiple nested hierarchies, and does not translate well into a table.

What is your actual question?  Should you stay away from JSON data sources?  No, of course not - often you have no choice. But beware that it is not a "native"  format for tools like Power BI, Qlik or Tableau.  Even though these tools tout their associative models and extended table philosophies etc, they are still closer to (really powerful) traditional RDBMS than to XML databases, NoSQL or unstructured data stores .

Thanks for your help! 

Liked the content what you shared.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.