Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

willeckrich
Frequent Visitor

Proposed solution for "Showing totals for stacked columns"

[Please delete if this solution has already been posted - I did look and couldn't find it.]

Upon discovering today that Power BI doesn't have the functionality built in to display totals for stacked columns, a friend of mine who is an Excel guru told me how she does it with her Excel stacked charts and it's doable in Power BI.  While you can create cards to equal measures that sum the stacked columns, the cards won't move as the column goes up and down based on values (you could display the card at the bottom of the column if you always have enough values). 

To display totals for stacked columns and have those totals at the top of each column:

1. Create a calculated column that totals each row (if you don't have one already).
  2. In the Value list for the stacked column chart, after all the different sub-categories, add the total column.
  3. For the total 'sub-category', set the background equal to your stacked column chart's background.

Two caveats to this proposed solution: 1 - I set the maximum y axis value to a little higher than my highest watermark and 2 - I turned off the grid lines so I wouldn't see the gaps where the 'hidden' total sub-category intersects.

Hope this is helpful!  🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi, @willeckrich 

here is a similar post for you refer to:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Problem-include-and-value-in-graph/m-p/586646#M278050

If your issue is solved, please accept my reply as answer, that way, other community members would easily find the solution when they get same issues.  Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@willeckrich -

Could you not just use Line and stacked column chart and change the Shapes Stroke width to 0 for the Line?

2.png3.png1.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

I found that online and tried it - don't remember why it didn't work for me.  Definitely recommend it for others if it fits their report!  🙂

hi, @willeckrich 

here is a similar post for you refer to:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Problem-include-and-value-in-graph/m-p/586646#M278050

If your issue is solved, please accept my reply as answer, that way, other community members would easily find the solution when they get same issues.  Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.