Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Properties Pane disappeared?

Apologies for a duplicate post - I prematurely marked previous as solved where it is not solved.

Have I gone mad? Has the properties pane been disabled? I'm just trying to enter a description for measures in my report so that the description comes up in tool tip for users when browsing fields. 

I used to right click on a measure, and there was a properties option, but that is gone. I also used to have a checkbox in view ribbon for properties. Both appear to be gone. How do I enter a description for fields/measures/tables in my model?

The scenario I'm in is that I connect to a published dataset on the PowerBI service. When I add a custom measure, I need to put in a description for other users and analysts, and for the tooltip functionality in the service. In this scenario, the model tab is not even visible. How do I document the measures that are custom to this report, when the data source is a dataset already published.

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Probably  you figured out now.

For those who are puzzled about where the property pane gone.
It is still there but you have click on the Model View to see the Property Pane on the right side next to fields.

regards

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:

The scenario I'm in is that I connect to a published dataset on the PowerBI service. 

I think you need to go into the published dataset and change the properties there. (that way any report that connects to the data set will see your description). These properties are connected to the data model, not the report visuals.

Anonymous
Not applicable

First of all, thank you for replying. 

The situation precludes putting this on the source dataset. The central BI department deploys the general model on behalf of a wide user base, with some measures, but only those that have have univeral applicability as the data model and user base covers a multitenant setting, and there are a lot of custom needs that are not suitable to put into the main model that is shared by everyone. It is left to report authors and analysts to create the highly custom measures for their setting and document. 

In previous versions of PBI desktop, when connected to an existing dataset published on PBI service, right from the visualization pane, you could right click on a table, add a custom measure, then right click on your custom measure, local to the report only, and select properties and enter a description. I don't know when this change was made, but I noticed it when the interface went from the dark to light UI between versions. 

@Anonymous wrote:

In previous versions of PBI desktop, when connected to an existing dataset published on PBI service, right from the visualization pane, you could right click on a table, add a custom measure, then right click on your custom measure, local to the report only, and select properties and enter a description. I don't know when this change was made, but I noticed it when the interface went from the dark to light UI between versions. 

Oh I see, sorry I did not realize you were talking about report level measures. You are right, this does appear to be an issue introduced with the June update (I still have a copy of the version that I use with our local Power BI Report Server instance and that still has the Field properties option). I'll make some inquiries and see if I can find out what happened here.

Apparently this was removed on purpose. 😞 I would suggest raising a User Voice request and posting a link back to this thread as the functionality in the new modelling view is not available for Live Connection base reports leaving a functionality gap.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@d_gosbell wrote:

Apparently this was removed on purpose. 😞 I would suggest raising a User Voice request and posting a link back to this thread as the functionality in the new modelling view is not available for Live Connection base reports leaving a functionality gap.

Disappointing.

Where is this User Voice section you're speaking of? This is very base functionality for us. 

@Anonymous wrote:

Where is this User Voice section you're speaking of? This is very base functionality for us. 

You can find the User Voice for Power BI at the following link https://ideas.powerbi.com

I've told my contacts on the product team that this issue needs to be addressed, but I'm just one voice. Providing additional feedback (by adding or voting for uservoice items) will enable the team to prioritize work on this issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.