Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CR
Resolver II
Resolver II

Properly load a JSON file from a folder as source

Hi guys,

I know how to load a JSON file ifself

let
    Source = Json.Document(File.Contents("\\...\refreshables.json")),
    #"Converted to Table" = Record.ToTable(Source),
    Value = #"Converted to Table"{2}[Value],
    #"Converted to Table1" = Table.FromList(Value, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table1", "Column1", {"id", "name", "kind", "lastRefresh", "refreshSchedule", "configuredBy", "capacity", "group", "startTime", "endTime", "refreshCount", "refreshFailures", "averageDuration", "medianDuration", "refreshesPerDay"}, {"id", "name", "kind", "lastRefresh", "refreshSchedule", "configuredBy", "capacity", "group", "startTime", "endTime", "refreshCount", "refreshFailures", "averageDuration", "medianDuration", "refreshesPerDay"}),
    #"Expanded lastRefresh" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded Column1", "lastRefresh", {"id", "refreshType", "startTime", "endTime", "serviceExceptionJson", "status", "requestId"}, {"lastRefresh.id", "lastRefresh.refreshType", "lastRefresh.startTime", "lastRefresh.endTime", "lastRefresh.serviceExceptionJson", "lastRefresh.status", "lastRefresh.requestId"}),
    #"Expanded refreshSchedule" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded lastRefresh", "refreshSchedule", {"days", "times", "enabled", "localTimeZoneId", "notifyOption"}, {"refreshSchedule.days", "refreshSchedule.times", "refreshSchedule.enabled", "refreshSchedule.localTimeZoneId", "refreshSchedule.notifyOption"}),
    #"Expanded refreshSchedule.days" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expanded refreshSchedule", "refreshSchedule.days"),
    #"Expanded refreshSchedule.times" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expanded refreshSchedule.days", "refreshSchedule.times"),
    #"Expanded configuredBy" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expanded refreshSchedule.times", "configuredBy"),
    #"Expanded capacity" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded configuredBy", "capacity", {"id", "displayName", "sku"}, {"capacity.id", "capacity.displayName", "capacity.sku"}),
    #"Expanded group" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded capacity", "group", {"id", "name"}, {"group.id", "group.name"}),

But I don't know how to do when the JSON file is one a the files of a folder I get as the source. 

let
    Source = PBIAuditLogRaw,
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each ([Source.Name] = "refreshables.json"))
     ???
in

Any idea of what I have to put instead of the ??? ?

Regards,

CR 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Your first two steps look correct, but the next should be a navigate step.  Do you see something like this at that step?

binary.png

If so, click on the word "Binary" which should open your file as a JSON type, and then you can use similar steps as your first query from there.

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CR ,

Is your JSON file located in a certain folder?

Do you want to use the 'Folder' connector to import and merge the files of the entire folder?

lll2.PNG

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-lionel-msft ,

This is indeed  folder and containing about 20 csv files (no issue with them) and one json file (the one I'm talking about).

The load is fine now, it's just that I don't know how to convert the content to a clean table (as explained, I hope, in my last post).

Regards,

Camille

You're missing the step where you parse the JSON.  (You just imported it as a CSV).

"I don't know how to convert the content to a clean table"

That's not how JSON works.  It represents a hierarchy.  A table has no hierarchy.

You can flatten the JSON in some cases to make it look like a (very inefficent) table, but in most cases you can only grab certain attributes from your JSON for further processing.

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

From that step, just click on the "Binary" hyperlink (or whatever hyperlink is in the [Content] column (or something like that).  That will create a Navigate step and it should look familiar after that.

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

@mahoneypat , @lbendlin ,

Thanks. I expand all the columns and I got 48 columns.

let
    Source = PBIAuditLogRaw,
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each ([Source.Name] = "refreshables.json")),
    #"Expanded Transform File from PBIAuditLog" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Filtered Rows", "Transform File from PBIAuditLog", {"{", "", "_1", "_2", "_3", "_4", "_5", "_6", "_7", "_8", "_9", "_10", "_11", "_12", "_13", "_14", "_15", "_16", "_17", "_18", "_19", "_20", "_21", "_22", "_23", "_24", "_25", "_26", "_27", "_28", "_29", "_30", "_31", "_32", "_33", "_34", "_35", "_36", "_37", "_38", "_39", "_40", "_41", "_42", "_43", "_44", "_45", "_46", "_47", "_48"}, {"{", "Column1", "_1", "_2", "_3", "_4", "_5", "_6", "_7", "_8", "_9", "_10", "_11", "_12", "_13", "_14", "_15", "_16", "_17", "_18", "_19", "_20", "_21", "_22", "_23", "_24", "_25", "_26", "_27", "_28", "_29", "_30", "_31", "_32", "_33", "_34", "_35", "_36", "_37", "_38", "_39", "_40", "_41", "_42", "_43", "_44", "_45", "_46", "_47", "_48"})
in
    #"Transform File from PBIAuditLog"

I also get the following table for thousand of ID's. Here is a sample of the first ID (limited to 13 columns instead 48).

Source.Name{Column1_1_2_3_4_5_6_7_8_9_10_11
refreshables.json  "@odata.context":"http://.../$metadata#refreshables"@odata.count:332value:[          
refreshables.json    {            
refreshables.json      "id":"XXXX1"name:"Name1"kind:"Dataset"startTime:"2020-06-13T23:01:18.85Z"endTime:"2020-06-17T01:38:02.4Z"refreshCount:20refreshFailures:4averageDuration:3989.5736666666667medianDuration:3111.936refreshesPerDay:6lastRefresh:{  
refreshables.json        "id":33283100refreshType:"Scheduled"startTime:"2020-06-17T03:30:08.257Z"endTime:nullserviceExceptionJson:nullstatus:"Unknown"requestId:"..."      
refreshables.json      }refreshSchedule:{           
refreshables.json        "days":[            
refreshables.json          "Sunday"MondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturday      
refreshables.json        ]times:[           
refreshables.json          "01:00"05:3009:0013:0017:0022:00       
refreshables.json        ]enabled:truelocalTimeZoneId:"Romance Standard Time"notifyOption:"MailOnFailure"         
refreshables.json      }configuredBy:[           
refreshables.json        "email"            
refreshables.json      ]capacity:{           
refreshables.json        "id":"capa1"displayName:"capa-name"sku:"P1"          
refreshables.json      }group:{           
refreshables.json        "id":"group1"name:"group1"           
refreshables.json      }            
refreshables.json    }{           

The issue is I don't see how to get a clean table by getting all information for one ID in one line.

I tried to convert to a list but it seems this is more complex.

Regards,

CR

Your first two steps look correct, but the next should be a navigate step.  Do you see something like this at that step?

binary.png

If so, click on the word "Binary" which should open your file as a JSON type, and then you can use similar steps as your first query from there.

Regards,

Pat

@mahoneypat 

The content was not Binary but Table. I also start again the upload and, now, it works perfectly fine. So, the issue is solved but I don't know why because I'm not able to produce again the issue.

Bye,

CR

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

what folder, file folder or Sharepoitn folder?

In any case, just open a connection to your folder source, then set  a filter for the target path, file extension and file name as needed, and then continue with your JSON parse code from there. Check the generated Power Query code, it is pretty straightforward. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.