Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ilcaa72
Helper IV
Helper IV

Proper way to structure Date table

i have a 'fact table' that has dates...

1. within PQ, i right click the date column and selected, 'make query', then removed duplicates, then converted to table, and formated as 'Date'. so I have individual Dates in seperate table.

2. i then used the Date button functionality in PQ toolbar to automatically create Year, Month, Month Name, Quarter, etc columns, for Time Intelligence

when i load the table into PBI, it summarizes any numeric column in my 'Date table'.  So my question is... do I need to change the extra column types to dates as well?  Can i label this a 'Date Table'?  i just dont want any issues when i start buling my reports and using Time Intelligence functions. enclosed in screenshot

what r the best practices when using the Date button in PQ to add columns for time intelligence ?  thanks

date table.jpg

1 REPLY 1
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @ilcaa72,

Basically the Numeric Columns that you create using the Date option in Power Query are given the data type as Whole Number or Decimal Number by the system

Also having this as a number as you said will summarize the column whenever you use it.

But by Functionality as well as logically, columns like Month Number, Year, Quarter Number, Week of Year etc. would need require them to be aggregated.

So it is better that you keep them as attributes, just like Month Name and only your Date column in Date Data Type as it is your key. i.e,. You can keep their data types also as Text and this would not create any issue in future

Hope this answered your question!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.