Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AlB
Super User
Super User

Propagating visual x-filtering across pages

Hi all,

Imagine we have a bar chart that shows the sales per location in page 1 of a pbi report. If the user clicks on the bar for a location on the chart, the other elements on page 1 will be filtered (or highlighted) and show the result for that location.

That is limited to the same page. What we would want is one of two things:

1. When the user clicks on the bar for a location on the chart and they go to a different page (page 2) in the report, the visuals in page 2 will also be filtered down to the location.

2. On top of point 1, when the user clicks on the location the system takes them to page 2. Sort of the behavior provided by a bookmark but that is triggered when you click on a bar of the chart.

Are any of the points above possible in pbi?

If not, any ideas on how to get a similar behavior?

@MFelix  @TomMartens @Greg_Deckler @mahoneypat @parry2k 

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @AlB ,

For this you need to use the drill-torugh option and you can set a button that does the change to page two:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-drillthrough

You cannot make it with a direct click on the bar chart but a button can pop up for the drill trough.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @AlB ,

sorry for the delay.

Basically, it's not possible what you are asking for.

This is because, you can not change the "on-click" event from "Select item" to "Navigate to page".

My suggestion is: stick to the drill-through button as recommended by @MFelix.

If the number of locations is static you can combine the idea of @mahoneypat using transparent buttons used as bookmark. that does two things at the same time, navigates to page 2, and uses the preselection of a slicer on page 2. This pre-selection is part of the bookmark selection. 

Here you will find a little pbix file that provides what you are looking for, at least to my understanding.
https://tommartens-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/tom_minceddata_com/ETUZtT7VpA5Apb8jIcE7qNUBw7zXg...
On page 1 there are two colored rectangles (used as bookmark navigation) that are overlaying the columns in the chart.
There are 2 bookmarks defined each for a slicer selection on page 2

Even if this meets your requirements, my recommendation is: do not use this because it can become pretty ugly quite soon.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @AlB ,

For this you need to use the drill-torugh option and you can set a button that does the change to page two:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-drillthrough

You cannot make it with a direct click on the bar chart but a button can pop up for the drill trough.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

I think the closest you could get (and this would only work in the Service) would be to make a button and a measure that dynamically generates a web url to the desired report page, along with a dynamic filter generated with the FILTERS function.  The user would need to click on the bar and then the button.  I guess you could also create blank buttons over each bar, each with the web url for that bar.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

@mahoneypat 

Can you please elaborate on your solution? 

AlB
Super User
Super User

Thanks @Ashish_Mathur  @VahidDM 

The synced location slicer is what we have now already but the users are looking for what I describe in point 1.

What about point 2?

VahidDM
Super User
Super User

Hi @AlB 

Pretty sure No.1 is not possible (as far as I know), you can sync Slicer but not pages.

Appreciate your Kudos!!
LinkedIn: 
www.linkedin.com/in/vahid-dm/

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Location can be a slicer and you can sync slicers between pages.  Will that work?

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.