Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sdhn
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Projected Percent Reduction

Hi All,

I have a report contains following FY matrices 

sdhn_0-1647968346095.png

Now I want to calculate projceted value as:

1. Add the values for each full months complete  from 2nd Half                                                                                                                            a) In this case Jan & Feb (124 + 120 =244)

At this time the value provided for March is not complete, therefore do not include it.

2. Divide result by the number of full months completed                                                                                                                                      a) In this case there were 3 months completed, Jan, Feb & Mar.                                                                                                                b)244 / 2 = 122  ç this gives you the Average/Month

3. Multiple by 6 months to determine the Total Projected Sum for that period.                                                                                             a)122 * 6 = 732  ç Gives you the Total Projected  Sum

To determine what the projected percentage is of 2nd half of the fiscal year when compared to the 1st half of the fiscal year:

1. Multiply the Total Projected Sum of the 2nd half of the fiscal year by 100 and divide by the Total Sum of the 1st half of the fiscal year.                                                                                                                                                                                          a)732* 100 = 73200 / 948 = 77.21 %                                                                                                                                                            

Total % Project Cost is 77.21 %

100-77.21 = 22.79 % is Projected Percent Reduction

Help will be appreciated.  Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sdhn ,

I have added a FY Flag column to table for the convenience:

Eyelyn9_0-1648181659359.png

And firstly create a measure to get the current FY period (Current is 2022-March, so the FY period I set is 20221)

CurrFY = YEAR(TODAY())*10+IF(MONTH(TODAY())>=7,2,1)

Then please create measures:

Measure 1 = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table',[FY Flag]=[CurrFY] && MONTH([Date])<MONTH(TODAY())))
Measure 2 = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]) / DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Date].[MonthNo]),FILTER('Table',[FY Flag]=[CurrFY] && MONTH([Date])<MONTH(TODAY())))
Measure 3 = [Measure 2] * 6
Measure 4 = 
var _sumLastHalf=CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table',[FY Flag]= MAXX(FILTER(ALL('Table'),[FY Flag]<[CurrFY]),[FY Flag])))
return [Measure 3] / _sumLastHalf
Measure 5 = 1-[Measure 4]

Output:

Eyelyn9_1-1648181897555.png

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sdhn ,

1. I used Year*10  and the to make the year to the "front",so the format will be yyyyX.

Like, if I use Year*100  + Month Number , the format will be yyyyMM. (202203=2022 March, 202211= 2022 November)

2. For X, from your description, one year is divided to two parts ( half of the fiscal year)——

First half: January to June 

Second half:July to December

So I used  if Month() >=7 then set 2 otherwise set 1.  2 means the second half ,1 means the first half.

The final format of flag column will be yyyyX= 20221, 20222

3. No.You don't need to manaully change it. I have used DAX to dynamically get the Flag.

Hope my explanation could make it clear to you.😀

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

sdhn
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi Eyelyn

Thansk for your nice reply. 

I have few questions:

FY Flag = YEAR([Date])*10+ IF(MONTH([Date]) >=7,2,1)

1)  Why did you * 10

2) what is 7, 2, 1 values for?

3) Do I need to change Flag every month manually? 

Thanks 

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sdhn ,

I have added a FY Flag column to table for the convenience:

Eyelyn9_0-1648181659359.png

And firstly create a measure to get the current FY period (Current is 2022-March, so the FY period I set is 20221)

CurrFY = YEAR(TODAY())*10+IF(MONTH(TODAY())>=7,2,1)

Then please create measures:

Measure 1 = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table',[FY Flag]=[CurrFY] && MONTH([Date])<MONTH(TODAY())))
Measure 2 = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]) / DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Date].[MonthNo]),FILTER('Table',[FY Flag]=[CurrFY] && MONTH([Date])<MONTH(TODAY())))
Measure 3 = [Measure 2] * 6
Measure 4 = 
var _sumLastHalf=CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table',[FY Flag]= MAXX(FILTER(ALL('Table'),[FY Flag]<[CurrFY]),[FY Flag])))
return [Measure 3] / _sumLastHalf
Measure 5 = 1-[Measure 4]

Output:

Eyelyn9_1-1648181897555.png

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.