Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Project online, roll up of projects

I am trying to run a report with all the projects listed out and the respective sub projects/tasks grouped under the parent project. However, the way project lists the project and the parent project it only goes up one level per row. 

This results in a lot of repeated parent projects. 

I noticed it behaves this way in the content pack and the web app. 

Has anyone figured out the best way to perform this?

Thank you,

Rick 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to solve this issue by adding custom fields in Project and enter in the true Parent task and all the next level up projects. 

I

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Rick,

What is the result you'd like to have? Since the content pack is pre-designed, I would suggest you retrieve the Project Online data into Desktop and manipulate it yourself. Please refer to Accessing-Project-Online-Data-from-Desktop and Filtering-OData-queries-result-Project-Online.

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dale,

I am using Power BI Desktop, but I am using the content pack to see how it pulled the data as there are many tables to get different information.

Because of the way Project online stores "projects" or the way the Odata is feed to PowerBI a "project" will have a row that lists the main project as ProjectName, ParentTask and TaskName. Also if there is a project created under a main project then there will be a row with that sub project as ParentTask and TaskName.

This causes repeating of data in the report, doubling the amount of real hours that report should have.

I have attached to redacted pics that show this relationship.

PowerBI Project Data.jpgPowerbi_Project_Nested.jpg

Hi @Anonymous,

What's the [TaskActualWork] of the fourth row in the first image? Is it 551.75? 

It seems the data has a total row like below? Isn't it?

ProjectName    ParentTaskName   TaskName
275 Testing      275 Testing           275 Testing
275 Testing      275 Testing           Internal Testing
275 Testing      275 Testing           ... ... others

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to solve this issue by adding custom fields in Project and enter in the true Parent task and all the next level up projects. 

I

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.