Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MichaelP
Advocate I
Advocate I

Project Online Odata - "The user was not Authorized"

I am attempting to test PowerBi with oData from our Project Online.

I keep getting "the User was not Authorized" when trying to signin using my Organizational account. I am pretty sure I am fully qualified for this access.

This is happening when trying to load the data once I selected the Table I want from oData feed.

Anyone would tell if he/she is facing/has faced same issue? And maybe how to address this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cbovikings
Regular Visitor

Myself and other coworkers are getting this same message. I'm working with Microsoft on this issue. It was working on Saturday (7/25) so I believe it has to do with the service and not the build of Power BI Desktop.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also had the issue with; The user was not Authorized. I was not even able to even get to select any tables.

However, I did figure out I needed to extend the url with "_api/Projectdata"

Thus, the URL was "https://xxxxx.sharepoint.com/sites/pwa/_api/Projectdata"

cbovikings
Regular Visitor

Now the refresh doesn't work. You get the following message when you try to set up a Scheduled Refresh in the dataset. "You cannot schedule refresh for this dataset because it gets data from sources that currently don’t support refresh". If you manually refresh it, it doesn't give an error but it doesn't refresh the data. Any ideas?

I see to get this message with any dataset now. I used the Resources dataset with no transformations and I'm getting this same message. Any idea if Project Online is even supported for refresh?

Update: I got it to refresh by saving the file as a .pbix file and then manually uploading the file using the Get Data command from within the Power BI service. The built in Publish command within Power BI Desktop doesn't seem to work to allow refresh.

I attempted to access the follow link and received the error

http://services.odata.org/V3/Northwind/Northwind.svc/

When I pasted in the link and removed the final forward slash I was able to access the tables.

cbovikings
Regular Visitor

I think I found a workaround. This only seems to happen in the Projects dataset. So, for Projects, go into Edit and then choose Keep Top Rows and choose any large number (I used 5000 and I only have 49 projects in my demo data). After this step, it can be loaded into the data model. I haven't tested out refresh abilities yet.

cool this resolve the issue .. very strange .. thanks my friend.Man Very Happy

cbovikings
Regular Visitor

Myself and other coworkers are getting this same message. I'm working with Microsoft on this issue. It was working on Saturday (7/25) so I believe it has to do with the service and not the build of Power BI Desktop.

good to know I am not the only one. Please keep us updating of your progress with Microsoft.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.