Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Project Management - Dynamic Matrix Headers to show resources

HI friends,

for those in the projet management space, I have a tough nut to crack and i'm looking for your help. The goal is to analyse the allocation of tasks for a given resource and see whether they're overallocated. I'm looking to display this inforamtion via a line curve and a matrix visual 

Active variables: Start Date, End Date, Work effort (hours), task, responsible

Matrix Visual specs: 

- Columns would be displayed dynamically in the matrix, only the the dates between start/end date would appear

- Rows would show the tasks for a given resource

- Values would be the linear distribution of the hours over the duration
i.e. if a task has 100 hours of effort over a duration of 50 days = 2 hours per day that is applied linearly 

Curve spec:

- display the cummulative amount of work for a given resource per day

I would add a slicer to allow me to switch between resources

Bonus: If this can be switched to show weeks, months, quarters and years dynamically 

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

- Jay

here's some sample data

Task TitleResourceStart_dateEnd_dateWork Effort
System No-Load Tests 5.6_3.6J Gouma15-May-2115-May-23100.00
End of Travel TestsJ Gouma15-May-2115-May-24200.00
Empty Rail car & Locomotive TestsJ Gouma15-May-2115-Nov-21300.00
(Dry) Tests J Gouma15-May-2115-Jul-22400.00
System trialF Pacico15-May-2015-May-2250.00
travel trialF Pacico15-Apr-2015-Apr-23100.00
empty bucket hopperF Pacico15-Mar-1915-Sep-1965.00
wet testsF Pacico15-Feb-1215-Apr-1355.00
1 REPLY 1
v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Based on your description,

-

Goal:

to analyse the allocation of tasks for a given resource and see whether they're overallocated

Visual:

a line curve and a matrix visual

-

It would be better if you have a calendar table. Its easy to create one if you dont have. Your startdate is between 2012,2.15 2021,5,15, so I create a calendar table between 2012,2.15 2021,5,15 in my sample file.

Then create 4 columns: week, month, quarter, year,

v-xiaotang_0-1622529973225.png

Then we can switch to show weeks, months, quarters and years dynamically by using slicers as you want.

-

Sorry for not understanding your words Values would be the linear distribution of the hours over the duration i.e. if a task has 100 hours of effort over a duration of 50 days = 2 hours per day that is applied linearly 

could your add more details? I dont know what should be put in the value of matrix.. so I just put work effort of your sample data into matrix.

v-xiaotang_1-1622529973229.png

Besides, its also not clear that display the cummulative amount of work for a given resource per day”. Because there are several same resources and several different date periods for a given resource in your sample data. Do you want to summarize the amount from different periods? It would be better to give an example.

v-xiaotang_2-1622529973233.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.