Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

peeyushp
Frequent Visitor

Progress ODBC database issues

Hi,

In our organization, we use Progress ODBC database to store our data and I use Progress's 64-bit driver to connect to our database. Power BI desktop throws a lot of errors when I try to either refresh, access large amounts of rows (1 million and above), join some tables etc.

For eg. my model has 6 queries on it and each of the queries has on average ~1 million rows. When I pulled the data from our database, it loaded sucessfully and I was able to build reports. But, when I try to schedule a refresh or do a manual refresh I get this error: [Progress ODBC OpenEdge Driver] Broker Rejects connection. I suppose, when I was able to successfully load data from database then the Refreshes shouldn't be a problem.

Is this because Power BI has limited support for ODBC databases for now (No native connectors)? Or Am I doing something wrong?

P.S. Please excuse any lack of specific details. I can provide more specific details if required.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

This ODBC driver for Progress, is it free? Or is it USD149,99 as I saw on some download center websites?
Or is it free only for some licenses?

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@peeyushp ODBC connections for data refresh via gateway is already supported so this shouldn't be an issue. Have you tried creating DSN for your data source and using that instead straight using ODBC connection string to connect.

@ankitpatira The problem is I'm not able to do a manual refresh from Power BI desktop for my reports which I have created on the Desktop version. I have setup a Personal gateway for scheduled refreshes, but I suppose if the manual refresh itself is not working then automatic refresh via gateway is out of question.

@peeyushp Perhaps to pinpoint where the issue is via query editor limit the number of rows returned. If it works then you know refreshing million+ rows is the issue. Why it worked for input and not refresh can be the next piece of puzzle.

@ankitpatira I spoke to our company's database administrator about this and he says that Power BI logs in using the driver, creates a connection but does not disconnect. In subsequent refreshes, the server runs out of connections (because the previous connections have not been terminated), and hence rejects further connections.

Is there a setting in Power BI where I can change this? so that it disconnects after refresh?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.