Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JeffreyLau

Profit Per unit

All,

How can I get a return on the profit per unit as 13.79 in power BI?

Please see the below screenshot.  When it is done in excel calculated field, the total profit per unit returned correctly as 13.79 (1,394,716.39/101,145.1) but in Power BI, NaN is returned.  Please note that the first two rows need to be kept for use.  

Thanks!

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

I guess you computed your Profit per unit as a calculated column using the DAX language in Power BI.

Because this is a ratio, you'd better use a measure rather than a calculated column. See more explanation here: https://exceleratorbi.com.au/calculated-columns-vs-measures-dax/

Ralph Kimball summarizes this concept with this sentence : "You should always do the ratios of the sum rather than the sum of the ratios"

So, in your example, go to 'Modelling' Tab, create the following measure:

ProfitPerUnit = Divide ( Sum(YourTable[Profit]) , Sum(YourTable[Unit]) , 0)

And use this brand new measure in the "values" of your tables & matrix.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi,

I guess you computed your Profit per unit as a calculated column using the DAX language in Power BI.

Because this is a ratio, you'd better use a measure rather than a calculated column. See more explanation here: https://exceleratorbi.com.au/calculated-columns-vs-measures-dax/

Ralph Kimball summarizes this concept with this sentence : "You should always do the ratios of the sum rather than the sum of the ratios"

So, in your example, go to 'Modelling' Tab, create the following measure:

ProfitPerUnit = Divide ( Sum(YourTable[Profit]) , Sum(YourTable[Unit]) , 0)

And use this brand new measure in the "values" of your tables & matrix.

Thanks, it works now.  I tried the new measure before but did not know "Divide".  Now I know.  Thanks.

davehus
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Are you using the Divide function in the measure? I can see a couple of columns with zero in them which maybe chasing the error.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.