Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Profit Mining / Data from two tables

Hey there!

I already tried to find a solution for my problem in the documentation or the community, but I could not find an answer yet. Would be nice if somebody could help me out!

My issue:

I want to do a profit mining dashboard for car sales in a certain period of time.
Table 1 contains many data records of car sales. Each row represents one car and shows details like color, engine and all the additional equipment. Each 3-digit-code represents one item.
Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-17 um 20.46.17.png

As the equipment is represented through a code, I had to create a second table with translations for the 3-digit-codes.

Thus, Table 2 contains the "translations":

Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-17 um 20.51.30.png

My goal is to connect [Table 1-optional equipment] with [Table 2-Code].

I want to create charts which show the most commonly sold items in general or e.g. the number of items belonging to the category "Interior" sold in a certain period of time.

I already tried to do a "many to one" connection and tried out some COUNT funtions but I got stuck every time.

I guess I'm still in the learning process and would be glad if somebody helped me out 🙂

Thanks in advance!
Manuel

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

I have two strategies you can test out.

1. The first one involves splitting the optional equipment codes of Table1 by delimeter in power query(edit queries), then unpivot the resulting columns. If a car is sold with 5 optional equipment types, that car nr will be repeated 5 times. When counting cars, this can be resolved by using distinctcount. The benefit of this strategy is that you can have 1-to-many relationship between table2 and table1. This is especially helpfull if your model becomes complex with many tables and relationships.
example 1

2. The second strategy also involves power query. But now create a duplicate of table1, and remove all columns except the optional equipment-column. Then create a duplicate of the remaining column, and split that column by delimter. Then unpivot the resulting columns. The resulting table can be connected to table1 with a many-to-many relationship. And a bidirectional many-to-one relationship to table2. The benefit of this strategy is that it is really easy to find the most popular combinations of optional equipment. The downside is that this works fine in a simple modell like this, but it may give you very unexpected results if the model becomes complex.

example 2

Cheers,
Sturla

View solution in original post

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

In the Query Editor right click on the Optiona Equipment in Table1 and go to Split Column > By delimiter > Space > Advanced > Split by rows > OK.  Now build a relationship from the Optional Equipment column of Table1 to the Code column of Table2.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

In the Query Editor right click on the Optiona Equipment in Table1 and go to Split Column > By delimiter > Space > Advanced > Split by rows > OK.  Now build a relationship from the Optional Equipment column of Table1 to the Code column of Table2.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

I have two strategies you can test out.

1. The first one involves splitting the optional equipment codes of Table1 by delimeter in power query(edit queries), then unpivot the resulting columns. If a car is sold with 5 optional equipment types, that car nr will be repeated 5 times. When counting cars, this can be resolved by using distinctcount. The benefit of this strategy is that you can have 1-to-many relationship between table2 and table1. This is especially helpfull if your model becomes complex with many tables and relationships.
example 1

2. The second strategy also involves power query. But now create a duplicate of table1, and remove all columns except the optional equipment-column. Then create a duplicate of the remaining column, and split that column by delimter. Then unpivot the resulting columns. The resulting table can be connected to table1 with a many-to-many relationship. And a bidirectional many-to-one relationship to table2. The benefit of this strategy is that it is really easy to find the most popular combinations of optional equipment. The downside is that this works fine in a simple modell like this, but it may give you very unexpected results if the model becomes complex.

example 2

Cheers,
Sturla

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.