Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bmccabe_PCS
Frequent Visitor

Product volume as a % of the Current Year total Volume, then report % change over last year

He is my beginner atempt at this. My issue is I can't retrieve the % of year total as a number. I am using the show as % of column total. How would I get the % of total volume per product as a decimal number I can do the simple math on?

Here is an attemt made to get this years % and compare to last years % of last years total but I get a % that is not correct.
My VOLUME column shown as a % of Column Total gives me 26.22% for one product in 2019. The product % of Column Total for 2020 is 25.93%. I want to show -0.29% change in the % of TOTAL VOLUME sold YoY.
2019 % of TOTAL VOLUME = 26.22%
2020 % of TOTAL VOLUME = 25.93%
% Change of TOTAL VOLUME YoY = -0.29%

With the below Growth Trend measure I get -8.51% which is wrong because the underneath data is numbers not %.

Growth Trend =
IF(
    ISFILTERED('Imported_Data'[MONTH_DATE]),
    ERROR("Time intelligence quick measures can only be grouped or filtered by the Power BI-provided date hierarchy or primary date column."),
    VAR __PREV_YEAR =
        CALCULATE(
            SUM('Imported_Data'[VOLUME]),
            DATEADD('Imported_Data'[MONTH_DATE].[Date], -1, YEAR)
        )
    RETURN
        DIVIDE(SUM('Imported_Data'[VOLUME]) - __PREV_YEAR, __PREV_YEAR)
)

Any assistance/advice would be appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bmccabe_PCS ,

Please refer the measure.

Measure = 
var _current = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[value]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[year],'Table'[product]))/CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[value]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[year]))
var _last = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[value]),FILTER(ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[product]),'Table'[year]=SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[year])-1))/CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[value]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[year]=SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[year])-1))
return
_current-_last

6.PNG

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bmccabe_PCS ,

Please refer the measure.

Measure = 
var _current = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[value]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[year],'Table'[product]))/CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[value]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[year]))
var _last = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[value]),FILTER(ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[product]),'Table'[year]=SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[year])-1))/CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[value]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[year]=SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[year])-1))
return
_current-_last

6.PNG

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
bmccabe_PCS
Frequent Visitor

I am getting an error in the Calculate expressions that the second pat of the calculate expression is not valid. 

I have created and added a DATE table to the project. I was able to get the YEAR Totals for each product.

Now I need to show the % of YEAR Totals that each product represents. I get a circular reference when trying to CALCULATE the YEAR totals which I need to calculate the % the total of the Year total for each grouped product and each year:

GWB_YEAR-TOTALS_By Product.jpg

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@bmccabe_PCS , it should be something like this

CALCULATE(
divide(SUM('Imported_Data'[VOLUME]),calculate(SUM('Imported_Data'[VOLUME]), allselected('Imported_Data'))),
)
-
CALCULATE(
divide(SUM('Imported_Data'[VOLUME]),calculate(SUM('Imported_Data'[VOLUME]), allselected('Imported_Data'))),
DATEADD('Imported_Data'[MONTH_DATE].[Date], -1, YEAR)
)

% of total only subtract

You can also try with datesytd

Power BI — Year on Year with or Without Time Intelligence
https://medium.com/@amitchandak.1978/power-bi-ytd-questions-time-intelligence-1-5-e3174b39f38a
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km41KfM_0uA

Thank you for this! I will test it out and report back. Sorry was not around for a while:)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.